- Using Mac OS X Applications
- Installing Other Applications
- Launching Applications
- Opening Applications and Files
- Switching Between Applications
- Quitting Applications
- Playing Chess
- Creating an Address Book
- Editing an Address Book
- Managing and Sharing an Address Book
- Adding an Image to an Address Book
- Performing Graph Calculations
- Performing Calculations and Conversions
- Capturing Images with a Digital Camera
- Capturing Screen Shots with Grab
- Previewing Images and PDFs
- Creating Sticky Notes
- Managing Fonts with Font Book
- Activating, Deactivating, and Customizing Fonts
- Working with Dashboard
- Using Dashboard Widgets
- Adding and Removing Dashboard Widgets
- Creating a Web Clip Dashboard Widget
Using Dashboard Widgets
Dashboard comes with a wide variety of widgets pre-installed with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Dashboard displays the Calculator, Weather, World Clock, and iCal widgets by default. However, you can add other pre-installed widgets to the Dashboard, which include Address Book, Business, Dictionary, ESPN, Flight Tracker, Google, iTunes, Movies, People, Ski Report, Stickies, Stocks, Tile Game, Translation, and Unit Converter. In fact, you can add more than one of the same widget, such as two World Clocks for two different times around the world. Some of the widgets are linked with applications and allow you to access information or functionality without opening the application. For example, the Weather widget displays Web-based content on the Dashboard without opening a Web browser.
Show or Hide Widgets on the Dashboard
- Press F12 to open Dashboard.
- Click the Open (+) button in the lower left corner to display the Widget bar.
- To hide a widget from the Dashboard, click the Close (x) button in the upper-left corner of the widget.
- To show a widget on the Dashboard, click the widget you want on the Widget bar.
- To move a widget on the Dashboard, drag it to another location.
- Click the Close (x) button in the Widget bar.
Use Pre-installed Widgets
Address Book. Type a name, or click the arrow buttons.
Business. Type a business name or category. Click the Info (i) button to change the local city.
Calculator. Use the numeric pad or click buttons to enter numbers.
Dictionary. Type a word to view a definition.
ESPN. Click the Info (i) button to select a sport. Click New or Scores to change the display.
Flight Tracker. Enter flight information, and then click Find Flights.
Google. Type a word or phrase, and then press Return to display the Google search.
iCal. Use the arrow buttons or arrow keys to move around the calendar. Click the today’s date pane to expand/collapse it.
iTunes. Use controls to use iTunes when it’s open.
Movies. Click the Info (i) button to enter your zip code to view theaters near you.
People. Type first name, last name, and a city and state or zip code, and then press Return.
Ski Report. Click the Info (i) button to type the name of a resort.
Stickies. Type notes. Click the Info (i) button to change color and font.
Stocks. Type a company. Click the Info (i) button to view a graph.
Tile Game. Click a tile that borders the empty space to move it.
Translation. Select a language, and then type the word or phrase.
Unit Converter. Select a Convert category, select the unit converted and the unit converted to.
Weather. Click the Info (i) button to check the weather forecast.
World Clock. Click the Info (i) button to change the city.