- Secure Your Private Network
- Protect Your Hotspot Users
- To Cover Large or Busy Areas, Consider Creating a Wi-Fi Mesh Network
- Place the Hotspot Gateway in a Central Spot
- Use an Identifying Network Name (SSID)
- Discover the Hotspot-Specific Firmware Replacement: CoovaAP
- Possibly Use a General Firmware Replacement
- Look into Using the Sputnik Service
- Look into 802.1X Authentication and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise Encryption
- Consider ZoneCD if You Have an Old PC Lying Around
Discover the Hotspot-Specific Firmware Replacement: CoovaAP
If you have a supported wireless router, you can turn it into a hotspot gateway by uploading the free CoovaAP firmware to it. It offers easy hotspot configuration with a built-in captive portal so you can require login, show a disclaimer or usage agreement, and/or require payment.
It also offers bandwidth controls so you can control how much Internet power guests use. Plus you can use their free or paid hosted network management services.