- 1. NetStumbler: To Find Nearby Networks
- 2. Network Magic: For an Easier Networking Experience
- 3. DD-WRT: To Super Charge Your Cheap Wireless Router
- 4. Wireshark (Previously Ethereal): To See the Raw Traffic
- 5. TeamViewer: For Remote Desktopping
- 6. NetSetMan: To Manage Your Network Settings
- 7. LogMeIn Hamachi: To Create a Secure VPN
- 8. Gbridge: To Securely Share Among Friends
- 9. Hotspot Shield: To Secure Your Wi-Fi in Public
- 10. Undelete: So Network Shares Can Use the Recycle Bin
9. Hotspot Shield: To Secure Your Wi-Fi in Public
VPNs have a few different uses. One is to secure your connections on public networks such as Wi-Fi hotspots or wired Internet ports.
While connected to a VPN, all your Internet traffic goes through the secure tunnel to the endpoint (your office).
Therefore, if you use a VPN while on an unprotected network, all your Internet traffic is encrypted by the VPN tunnel.
Hotspot Shield protects against any nearby eavesdroppers or hackers.