- Speed Up and Fix Up Your Dial-Up
- Bring Me a New Brain, Igor!
- What You Need to Know to Perform Brain Surgery on Your Modem
- Don't Just Call Any Number (Choosing the Correct Dial-Up Number)
- It's Not Your Modem—It's Your Phone Line
- Testing, Testing—Is Your Phone Line Ready to Rumble?
- Tweaking Your System for Faster Speed
- Adding Extra Horsepower to Your Internet Connection
- Software That Makes Tweaking Easier
- Super Glue Two Modems Together with Bonding
- How Bonding Works
- Will Your ISP Approve?
- Upgrading Windows 95 for Multilink Support
- Setting Up a Multilink Connection on Your Computer
- "We Interrupt This Online Session..." (Getting Calls While You're Online)
- Grabbing Messages While You're Online
Software That Makes Tweaking Easier
Editing the Registry by hand can be a truly scary experience, even for people like me who've been using the Regedit program for years. Fortunately, programs are available on the World Wide Web that you can use to change just the values that you need to adjust for faster modem operation. Some programs include
MTU Speed Pro 4.10http://www.mjs.u-net.com/home.htm
Additional titles are available at
The most famous of these, MTU Speed Pro, is available from many online sources.
Where Can I Find It?
You can see an illustrated how-to for MTU Speed Pro and also download it from the following Web page: http://www.exceptional.net/mtuspeed.html
Although the tips in the preceding section can produce better results, differences in systems, modems, and so on make the differences difficult to rate. If you're uncomfortable with this level of tinkering with your computer, don't do anything.