- Getting Ready: Get Organized and Develop a Plan of Action
- Develop Your Job Hunting Tactics: Timesaving Tips and Tools to Be a Smarter Searcher
- Fire Hose Technique
- Selective, but Out There
- Come and Get Me
- Go for the Kill
- Time to Decide: Are You an Active or Passive Job Seeker?
- The Plan Is in Place...Now Get Organized Before You Make a Move!
- Create a Tracking Sheet and Job-Hunt File
- Complete a Job History and Accomplishments Worksheet
- Define Your Transferable Skills
- Have a Basic Résumé and Cover Letter Ready
- Develop a List of Keywords
- Set Up a Special Email Account
Have a Basic Résumé and Cover Letter Ready
I'll talk about résumés and cover letters extensively in Part 2, but before you start your search, you need to have a basic résumé and cover letter ready to customize for each position you apply for, unless you're using the Fire Hose technique. In that situation, you might not have time to fire off 300 customized résumés, but if you have the time, always tailor your résumé to the job you're applying for.
If you haven't gotten around to thinking about your résumé, now is the time. You'll definitely need it before you go online to start your search. If you need help writing or revamping your résumé and cover letter for today's job market, be sure to read Chapter 6, "Get Help with Your Résumé Writing."