- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Opening and Viewing the Computer
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Working with Libraries
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Performing an Instant Search
- Performing an Advanced Search
- Performing Natural Language Searches
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Customizing Library Folder
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
Changing the Explorer Window View
Windows 7 displays the contents of a drive or folder in different ways to help you find the information you are looking for about a file or folder. The available views include Extra Large, Large, Medium and Small Icons, List, Details, Tiles, and Content (New!).
Icons view displays icons in different sizes (Extra Large, Large, Medium, and Small), sorted alphabetically in horizontal rows with the name of the file or folder below each icon. When you view files using one of the Icon views, Live icons—thumbnails—display the first page of documents, the image of a photo, or the album art for individual songs, making it easier to find exactly what you are looking for.
List view displays small icons, sorted alphabetically into vertical columns with the name of the file or folder next to each icon.
Details view displays small icons, sorted alphabetically in a vertical column with the name of the file or folder and additional information, such as file size, type, and date, in columns to the right.
Tiles view displays icons, sorted alphabetically into vertical columns, with information about the file next to each icon.
Content view (New!) displays medium icons in a vertical column with date modified information.
Switching Between Views
You use the Views button on the toolbar in an Explorer window to quickly switch between window views. When you click the Views button, the view switches between the following views: List, Details, Tiles, Content (New!), and Large Icons. If you want to select a different view, you can click the arrow next to the Views button to display a menu, where you can click a view or drag the slider. When you drag the slider, you can position it anywhere within the range, not just the main positions.