- Starting a Program From the Start Menu
- Opening a New Program Window
- Maximizing, Minimizing, Restoring, and Resizing a Window
- Using Aero Snap to Manage Windows
- Using Aero Peek to View the Desktop
- Using Alt-Tab to Cycle Through Programs
- Using Windows Flip (WIN-TAB) to Cycle Through Programs
- Using the Taskbar to View and Select Running Programs
- Closing a Program
- Using Desktop Gadgets
Using Desktop Gadgets
Windows 7 improves Windows Vista’s use of gadgets (small desktop programs) by freeing them from the side of the monitor. In Windows 7, you can place desktop gadgets wherever you’d like on the desktop, and you can use gadgets developed for Windows Vista as well as those developed for Windows 7.
- Right-click an empty portion of the desktop.
- The Desktop Gadget Gallery appears.
To place a gadget on your desktop, double-click the appropriate icon or drag the gadget to the desktop.
- To adjust settings for any gadget, move your mouse to the right side of the gadget and select the setup (wrench) icon.
- Select or enter the desired options and click OK when finished.
- To drag a gadget, move the mouse to the right of the gadget and click Drag Gadget.
- Move the gadget as desired, and release the left mouse button to place the gadget.