- Install a New Windows Server 2008 Forest
- Install a New Windows Server 2008 Child Domain
- Install a New Windows Server 2008 Domain Tree
- Install an Additional Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller
- Perform a Staged Installation of a Read-Only Domain Controller
- Install AD DS from Restored Backup Media
- Remove a Domain Controller from a Domain
- Forcing the Removal of a Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller
- Performing Metadata Cleanup
- Rename a Domain Controller
Install AD DS from Restored Backup Media
Solution: Install AD DS from restored backup media.
Create Installation Media
To create AD DS installation media, perform the following steps using an account that has the permissions to log on to a DC interactively and be able to make a backup.
- Log on to the domain controller you will use to create the media.
- Click Start, and click Command Prompt.
- In the command prompt window, type ntdsutil and press ENTER.
- At the ntdsutil prompt, type activate instance ntds and press ENTER.
- At the ntdsutil prompt, type ifm and press ENTER.
At the ifm: prompt, shown in Figure 3.45, type the command for the type of installation media that you want to create; then press ENTER. To create the media for an RODC, type Create rodc C:\Folder, where C:\Folder is the path to store the media. To create the media for a full (writable), type Create full C:\Folder, where C:\Folder is the path to store the media. Press ENTER when complete.
Figure 3.45 IFM prompt.
ntdsutil creates the installation media, as shown in Figure 3.46.
Figure 3.46 Create ifm installation media.
When the installation media has been created successfully, you are returned to the ifm: prompt, as shown in Figure 3.47.
Figure 3.47 The IFM created successfully.
- Type Q to exit the ifm: prompt.
- Type Q to exit ntdsutil.
- Close the command prompt window.
Install AD DS from Media
To install AD DS from media, perform the following steps using an account that has the permissions to log on to a DC interactively and be able to make a backup.
- Log on to the domain controller you will install AD DS on.
- Click Start, click Run, type dcpromo, and click OK.
- The dcpromo process begins by determining whether the AD DS binaries are installed. If the binaries are not installed, dcpromo installs them.
- On the Welcome to the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, select Use advanced mode installation and click Next.
- On the Operating System Compatibility page, click Next.
- On the Choose a Deployment Configuration page, select Existing forest, select Add a domain controller to an existing domain, and click Next.
- On the Network Credentials page, type the DNS name of the domain you want to join. Under Specify the account credentials to use to perform the installation, click Alternate credentials, and then click Set. On the Windows Security dialog box, enter the user name and password for an account that has the permission to add the domain to the forest; then click OK. Click Next to proceed.
- On the Select a Domain page, select the domain to which you want to add the domain controller and click Next.
- On the Select a Site page, select the site to which you want the domain controller to belong and click Next.
- On the Additional Domain Controller Options page, select the desired additional options for the domain controller and click Next.
On the Install from Media page, shown in Figure 3.48, select Replicate data from media at the following location, type the location of the installation media that was previously created, and click Next.
Figure 3.48 The Install from Media page.
On the Source Domain Controller page, shown in Figure 3.49, select a source domain controller for the installation partner or select Let the wizard choose an appropriate domain controller; then click Next.
Figure 3.49 The Source Domain Controller page.
- On the Location for Database, Log Files, and SYSVOL page, type the volume and folder locations for the database file, the directory service log files, and the SYSVOL files; then click Next.
- On the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password page, type and confirm the restore mode password and click Next.
On the Summary page, click Next after you review your selections.
The Active Directory Domain Services installation process starts.
- After the installation is complete, the Completing the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page appears. Ensure the installation was successful and click Finish.
- When prompted to restart, click Restart Now.
- To validate the installation process, click Start, click Run, type C:\Windows\Debug, and click OK.
- Open the DCPROMO.log file and analyze the results in the file.