- Starting Up the Terminal
- Moving Around the Filesystem
- Manipulating Files and Folders
- System Information Commands
- Searching and Editing Text Files
- Dealing with Users and Groups
- Getting Help on the Command Line
- Searching for Man Files
- Using Wildcards
- Executing Multiple Commands
- Moving to More Advanced Uses of the Command Line
Searching for Man Files
If you aren’t sure which command or application you need to use, you can try searching the man files.
man -k foo: This searches the man files for foo. Try man -k nautilus to see how this works.
man -f foo: This searches only the titles of your system’s man files. Try man -f gnome, for example.