Packet filtering enables an administrator to specify the type of inbound and outbound traffic that is allowed to pass through a Windows Server 2008 router. When configuring packet filters, you can allow all traffic except traffic prohibited by filters. Or you can deny all traffic except traffic that is allowed by filters.
To add a packet filter, follow these steps:
- Open Routing and Remote Access.
- In the console tree, click General under Routing and Remote Access/Server Name/[IPv4 or IPv6].
- In the details pane, right-click the interface on which you want to add a filter, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click either Inbound Filters or Outbound Filters.
- In the Inbound Filters or Outbound Filters dialog box, click New.
- In the Add IP Filter dialog box, type the settings for the filter, and then click OK.
- In Filter action, select the appropriate filter action, and then click OK.
After a packet filter is created, you can edit it at any time by selecting the filter from the list and clicking Edit.