- Identifying the content of the report
- Determining how the report will be viewed
- Considering international reporting requirements
- Deciding the layout and format of the report
- Drawing a mock-up
- Considering reuse of report components
- Managing report design resources
- Deciding how the report will be deployed
Deciding how the report will be deployed
Planning the report design is one phase of the planning process. You also need a plan for deploying or distributing the report. Consider these questions:
- How will the report be distributed to users?
- Will the report be deployed from an application?
- Will the report be sent through e-mail?
- If the report will be deployed from an application, address these questions:
- How will the report integrate with the application?
- Will users need a secure login to access the report?
- Will users view a generated report, or will users generate the report to view it with real-time data?
Depending on your deployment strategy, there are a host of other questions to answer and programming tasks to perform. Deployment and integration are topics that are beyond the scope of this book and are covered in Integrating and Extending BIRT (Addison-Wesley, 2008).