The SharePoint product itself, along with additional tools, can help you to enable enforcement of policies and processes. Be sure to visit the CodePlex SharePoint Governance and Manageability site, a workspace designed for governance and manageability samples and tools designed to help IT professionals. Here are some of the available tools:
- Microsoft SAT SharePoint Cross-Site Configurator 1.0. For standardization and consistency of master pages, auditing, content types, and more. How else would you want to use it?
- Microsoft IT Site Delete Capture 1.0. Simply captures sites that are deleted by end users and backs them up to disk using the event model. You have a recycle bin, but this is basically a site recycle bin, available only to administrators. Works with Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0 and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
- MSIT Site Life Cycle Management 1.0. Notify, backup, and then delete unused, unneeded sites. Works with WSS 3.0 and Office SharePoint Server 2007.
- MSIT Usage Reporting Framework 2.0. Simple reporting framework to gather usage and storage metrics on WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007; works with multiple farms. Note the caveats with SQL read queries listed on the framework home page (direct SELECT statements against the database).
- Toolbox.net. The SharePoint Toolbox is a set of MSIT tools, starting with the copy timer for analyzing latency and its impact on SharePoint uploads and downloads. Be sure to check this workspace for other tools.
- TweakSP central admin extensions. TweakSP is a solution that extends SharePoint’s Central Administration, providing additional functionality. Examples content database storage size, hierarchy, and log viewer.