- Appendix A. Welcome to the Command Line
- Starting Up the Terminal
- Moving Around the Filesystem
- Manipulating Files and Folders
- System Information Commands
- Searching and Editing Text Files
- Dealing with Users and Groups
- Getting Help on the Command Line
- Searching for Man Files
- Using Wildcards
- Executing Multiple Commands
- Moving to More Advanced Uses of the Command Line
Starting Up the Terminal
The terminal can be found under Accessories > Terminal. When it first launches, you will see something similar to what Figure A-1 shows.
Figure A-1 The terminal window
You will see a blinking cursor immediately preceded by a string ending in a $. The first word in that string is your username, followed by the @ symbol. After the @ the hostname of your computer is listed, followed by the name of the folder you are currently in (currently your home folder), which is represented by a ~ symbol.
There are many dozens of commands. This appendix presents a few, broken down by category.