- Make Yourself Indispensable
- A Word About Value
- Being Proactive
- Understanding Technology's Role in the Organization
- Maintain a Business-First Mentality
- Create Standards, Automation, or a Programmer's Toolkit
- Create a Peer Knowledge Network
- Be Known As the Go-To Resource
- Be Ready and Willing to Take on the Necessary Responsibility
- Have Experts You Call On for Your Organization
- Be Passionate About Something!
- Never Blame, and Always Have a Corrective Plan
- Adopt Concept Over Process
- Actions & Ideas
Understanding Technology's Role in the Organization
A large part of making yourself indispensable is a clear understanding of technology's role in the organization that you serve. Of even greater importance is helping define and expand that role in a way that provides business value.
In most cases, business value is tied to improving profits, lowering costs, or increasing efficiency, consequently providing more production throughput.
Your ability to define your role as someone who helps technology provide value in the areas of profits, costs, and efficiency is critical. To do so, you must understand how the company works. Excelling only within your direct job scope with the technology is not enough. You must perceive how the technology that you build and support works seamlessly in the organization.