- Make Yourself Indispensable
- A Word About Value
- Being Proactive
- Understanding Technology's Role in the Organization
- Maintain a Business-First Mentality
- Create Standards, Automation, or a Programmer's Toolkit
- Create a Peer Knowledge Network
- Be Known As the Go-To Resource
- Be Ready and Willing to Take on the Necessary Responsibility
- Have Experts You Call On for Your Organization
- Be Passionate About Something!
- Never Blame, and Always Have a Corrective Plan
- Adopt Concept Over Process
- Actions & Ideas
Adopt Concept Over Process
Concept Over Process (COP) is a rapid analysis tool. (See Chapter 21, "Concept Over Process," which is entirely devoted to this idea.) People are going to view technology as either a necessary expense or a value-add within your organization. Your ability to help others perceive technology as a valuable contributor to the organization's success is critical in making you indispensable.
COP provides a methodology for helping you see where the greatest positive impact exists. Then it's up to you to develop the skills necessary to make that a reality.
All of these ideas form a holistic picture of what makes an employee indispensable. It isn't that any one of them is "the key" to your career growth and stability. However, when you match these ideas with your technical skills, they are powerful.
Analyze those whom you see advancing rapidly in your industry. Identify which of these ideas they seem to put into practice. It is likely that the top producers you know are practicing many or all of these ideas. Your objective should be to do the same in your career.