- 16. On-the-Job Promotion
- On the Job
- Maintaining and Building Your Network
- Identifying Areas for Success
- Working for a Tyrant and Other Joys
- Determine Whether Your Boss’s Actions Are Personality or Personal
- Understand That People Are “Where They Are”
- Take an Objective Path to Evaluating What They Say
- Handling Criticism
- Actions & Ideas
Take an Objective Path to Evaluating What They Say
Difficult people or abrasive personalities can often dilute the message they bring. I have found that regardless of their style of delivery, people generally have the ability to provide insight into our careers that we otherwise would not see. The problem is, of course, that when people present something as an attack, we react personally.
But what if the person "attacking" you is actually bringing up some valid points? You might not even "hear" the person because of his harsh approach.