Connecting Zope to External Relational Databases
- What Is the ZODB?
- Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS)
- Why Are Database Adapters Necessary?
- Which Database Adapter Do I Need?
- Connecting MySQL and Zope
- Gadfly—Zope's Integrated Demo Relational Database
- Introduction to SQL
- Using Z SQL Methods to Submit SQL Statements
In this chapter, we will talk about relational databases and how they can be used with Zope. We start with an introduction to relational databases and then go on to the databases that are part of the Zope distribution, namely ZODB and Gadfly. Gadfly is a simple database that should only be used for demonstration purposes or to learn how to use Zope with a database.
After an introduction to the ZODB and relational database management systems (RDBMS), we will go through a step-by-step explanation of how to install the MySQL database adapter for Zope and how the connection between Zope and a MySQL table is established. Then we will show you how to use Zope's integrated demonstration database (Gadfly) to start working with SQL statements.