DRM-Free Video Downloads. Purchase and immediately download individual lessons from this video. Make your lesson selections below and click on the Buy button.
Videos can be viewed on: Windows 8, Windows XP, Vista, 7, and all versions of Macintosh OS X including the iPad, and other platforms that support the industry standard h.264 video codec. Requires the free QuickTime Player software.
- Copyright 2012
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-7897-4962-9
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7897-4962-8
More than 100 minutes of up-to-the minute, studio quality, how-to videos. Scott Mueller offers true insider information about several of the key components in a PC, including hard disk drives, power supplies, motherboards, and more. You will see hard drives completely dissected—even see an open hard drive in operation—so you can observe exactly what happens under the covers. One of the most common causes of failure in modern motherboards, power supplies and many other PC components are bad capacitors—otherwise known as the capacitor plague. Scott shows several real-world examples of this “disease,” so you can easily identify and even repair the problem yourself. Finally, because external hard drives are now commonly used for supplementary storage and backups, you’ll find a complete discussion of several
alternatives on the market. This includes tips and tricks for building or assembling your own flexible, high performance and highly reliable external storage drives, with several examples shown.
Following is a breakdown of the lessons included with purchase of the entire video (best value!):
- Episode 1: Hard Drive History and Evolution Episode Description: Scott Mueller, author of the world’s bestselling PC hardware book, Upgrading and Repairing PCs, explains the evolution of hard drives — all the way from 1956 to today!
- Episode 2: Hard Drive Disassembly and Destruction Episode Description: Scott Mueller, author of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, peels open a hard drive to show you how it works. Scott also shows you how to properly destroy the data on a drive before you discard it.
- Episode 3: Up Close: Running Hard Drives Exposed Episode Description: Scott Mueller, author of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, shows you what a drive looks like while it’s running. This is something you won’t see elsewhere and will help you better understand what’s going on inside that mysterious hard drive case.
- Episode 4: External Storage: Tips and Tricks Episode Description: Scott Mueller, author of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, gives you the lowdown on external hard drives. You’ll learn about drive interfaces, connectors, enclosures and anything else you could ever need to know about external drives.
- Episode 5: Power Supply Disassembly and Tour Episode Description: Scott Mueller, author of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, goes where other authors fear to tread — inside a PC’s power supply. Don’t underestimate the importance of using a quality power supply.
- Episode 6: Electrolyptic Capacitor Failures (Bad Caps) Episode Description: Scott Mueller, author of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, gets down to the nitty gritty and explains the capacitors that litter today’s modern day motherboards. Scott also explains how you can replace bad capacitors if you have the nerve to do it.