This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Also available in other formats.
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Build agile and responsive business intelligence solutions
Create a semantic model and analyze data using the tabular model in SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services to create corporate-level business intelligence (BI) solutions. Led by two BI experts, you will learn how to build, deploy, and query a tabular model by following detailed examples and best practices. This hands-on book shows you how to use the tabular model’s in-memory database to perform rapid analytics—whether you are new to Analysis Services or already familiar with its multidimensional model.
Discover how to:
• Determine when a tabular or multidimensional model is right for your project
• Build a tabular model using SQL Server Data Tools in Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
• Integrate data from multiple sources into a single, coherent view of company information
• Choose a data-modeling technique that meets your organization’s performance and usability requirements
• Implement security by establishing administrative and data user roles
• Define and implement partitioning strategies to reduce processing time
• Use Tabular Model Scripting Language (TMSL) to execute and automate administrative tasks
• Optimize your data model to reduce the memory footprint for VertiPaq
• Choose between in-memory (VertiPaq) and pass-through (DirectQuery) engines for tabular models
• Select the proper hardware and virtualization configurations
• Deploy and manipulate tabular models from C# and PowerShell using AMO and TOM libraries
Get code samples, including complete apps, at: https://aka.ms/tabular/downloads
About This Book
• For BI professionals who are new to SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services or already familiar with previous versions of the product, and who want the best reference for creating and maintaining tabular models.
• Assumes basic familiarity with database design and business analytics concepts.
The companion content for Tabular Modeling in Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services contains three parts. You can download each below.
1. This first .zip file (346 KB) contains models, scripts and SQL code from the book.
2. This second .zip file (46 MB) contains the Adventure Works database that you'll use for some of the examples in the book.
3. This third .zip file (658 MB) contains the Contoso database that you'll use for some of the examples in the book.
CHAPTER 1 Introducing the tabular model
CHAPTER 2 Getting started with the tabular model
CHAPTER 3 Loading data inside Tabular
CHAPTER 4 Introducing calculations in DAX
CHAPTER 5 Building hierarchies
CHAPTER 6 Data modeling in Tabular
CHAPTER 7 Tabular Model Scripting Language (TMSL)
CHAPTER 8 The tabular presentation layer
CHAPTER 9 Using DirectQuery
CHAPTER 10 Security
CHAPTER 11 Processing and partitioning tabular models
CHAPTER 12 Inside VertiPaq
CHAPTER 13 Interfacing with Tabular
CHAPTER 14 Monitoring and tuning a Tabular service
CHAPTER 15 Optimizing tabular models
CHAPTER 16 Choosing hardware and virtualization