This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Covers Release Candidate of Windows 7.¿
With purchase of this book you will get a free online edition written on final product. See product registration ad in back of book for details.
Microsoft® Windows 7 Unleashed gives IT professionals, serious power users, and true geeks the powerhouse Windows 7 tweaks, hacks, techniques, and insights they need: knowledge that simply can’t be found anywhere else. Top Windows expert Paul McFedries dives deep into Windows 7, returning with the most powerful ways to handle everything from networking to administration, security to scripting.
McFedries begins with advanced customization, covering everything from startup/shutdown to the file system. He introduces new ways to tune Windows 7 performance, police Windows via Group Policies, tweak the Registry, make the most of Windows 7s management tools, and control Windows 7 from the command line. You’ll find thorough coverage of securing Windows 7, including detailed guidance on web and email security and hardening both wireless and wired networks. You’ll also discover better ways to troubleshoot devices, networks, and startup; add Macs to Windows networks; and automate Windows administration with state-of-the-art scripting techniques.
This book is packed with expert tips, tricks, and troubleshooting techniques drawn from McFedries’ unsurpassed Windows experience. If you want maximum value and performance from your Windows 7 PCs, you won’t
find a more valuable resource.
ON THE WEB:
$49.99 USA / $59.99 CANz
Part I. Unleashing Windows 7 Customization
1. Customizing Windows Explorer
2. Customizing Internet Explorer
3. Customizing the File System
4. Customizing Startup and Shutdown
5. Customizing the Start Menu and Taskbar
Part II. Unleashing Windows 7 Performance and Maintenance
6. Tuning Windows 7's Performance
7. Maintaining Your Windows 7 System
Part III. Unleashing Windows 7 Power User Tools
8. Controlling Windows 7 with Control Panel
9. Policing Windows 7 with Group Policies
10. Configuring the Microsoft Management Console
11. Controlling Services
12. Tweaking the Windows 7 Registry
13. Controlling Windows 7 from the Command Line
Part IV. Unleashing Windows 7 Security
14. Securing Windows 7
15. Configuring Web Security
16. Implementing Email Security
17. Securing the File System
18. Setting Up User Security
19. Implementing Network Security
20. Tightening Wireless Network Security
Part V. Unleashing Windows 7 Troubleshooting
21. Troubleshooting and Recovering from Problems
22. Troubleshooting Devices
23. Troubleshooting Startup
24. Troubleshooting Networking
Part VI. Unleashing Windows 7 Networking
25. Setting Up a Small Network
26. Accessing and Using Your Network
27. Making Remote Network Connections
28. Turning Windows 7 Into a Web Server
29. Adding Macs to Your Windows 7 Network
Part VII. Unleashing Windows 7 Scripting
30. Programming the Windows Scripting Host
31. Programming Windows PowerShell