Learning Core Data for iOS: A Hands-On Guide to Building Core Data Applications, Rough Cuts
This is the Rough Cut version of the printed book.
Learning Core Data for iOS teaches you all you need to know to build database-enabled iOS apps with Core Data. This is the first Core Data book to fully reflect Apple’s latest platform innovations, especially the dramatic improvements to iCloud support in the next version of iOS. Hands-on from start to finish, this tutorial teaches you step-by-step as you create a modern iOS app using ARC, iOS and Xcode 4 with Storyboards. You’ll walk through:
- Discovering how Core Data simplifies the incorporation of database functionality
- Adding Core Data to an existing project
- Configuring and upgrading data models
- Using the MOC and storyboarding
- Working with the Table Views and Views design patterns
- Preloading your data
- Instrumenting your apps and overcoming performance pitfalls
- Seamlessly backing up and restoring data
- Generating PDFs, emails, and more
One step at a time, you’ll extend your skills — even mastering advanced techniques such as iCloud Dropbox integration, backup/restore, Table Views change notification, and web service integration. A downloadable version of the main project will be available at the end of each chapter, so you can see exactly what your app project should look like — and get cookbook-style code for your own future projects, too. Exercises at the end of each chapter offer opportunities to explore further — and making the book as useful for iOS app development courses as it is for self-learners.
Table of Contents
Part I. Building Your Application
1. Your First Core Data App
2. Configuring a Data Model
3. Upgrading the Data Model
4. Essential Techniques
5. Table Views
7. Preloading Data
8. Performance Faulting
Part II. Advanced Topics
9. Using Core Data for Other Stuff
10. Advanced Table Views Change Notification
11. Database Backup and Restore
12. Core Data and iCloud
13. Core Data Web Service Integration
Appendix A: Preparing 'Grocery Pal' for Part I
Appendix B: Preparing 'Grocery Pal' for Part II: Adding Non-Core Data Touches
Appendix C: Finalizing 'Grocery Pal'
Available to Safari Books Online Subscribers
What is this?
Rough Cuts are manuscripts that are developed but not yet published, available through Safari Books Online. Rough Cuts provide you access to the very latest information on a given topic and offer you the opportunity to interact with the author to influence the final publication.