Computer Basics Absolute Beginner's Guide, Windows 8 Edition, 6th Edition
- By Michael Miller
- Published Sep 14, 2012 by Que. Part of the Absolute Beginner's Guide series.
- Copyright 2012
- Dimensions: 7" x 9-1/8"
- Pages: 480
- Edition: 6th
- eBook (Watermarked)
- ISBN-10: 0-13-310737-X
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-310737-1
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
This year, millions of casual computer users will buy new Windows 8 mobile devices, notebooks, and desktop PCs. They'll want to know how to find their way around, get comfortable, and get the job done - without jargon, complexity, or hassle. There's a book for them: Michael Miller's Absolute Beginner's Guide to Computer Basics, Windows 8 Edition. It's the one book that covers everything today's beginners and near-beginners need to know: not just about Windows, but also about software, hardware, and the Internet. Through 100+ books, author Michael Miller has established an unparalleled track record in explaining complicated concepts simply and clearly, and empowering beginners. Now, he's thoroughly updated his best-selling Absolute Beginner's Guide to Computer Basics to cover today's user experience - with Windows 8, Internet Explorer 8, and today's hottest online tools, from craigslist and Facebook to Twitter, Wikipedia, and Google Docs. The latest edition of Absolute Beginner's Guide to Computer Basics is updated with coverage of Windows 8, which introduces the totally new Metro user interface. Given Metro's genesis as a mobile interface, and Microsoft's push towards a new breed of touchscreen computing devices, this new edition will include more hardware coverage than previous editions. In addition, this book will cover Windows 8's new Metro interface in depth, as well as feature increased coverage of social networking and cloud computing applications.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started
1. How Personal Computers Work
2. Getting to Know Desktop Computers
3. Getting to Know Notebook and Netbook Computers
4. Getting to Know Tablet Computers
Part II. Keeping Your System Up and Running
5. Working with Printers
6. Setting Up a Home Network
7. Adding Storage and Backup
8. Connecting Your PC to Your TV
9. Performing Routine Maintenance
10. Dealing with Common Problems
11. Protecting Against Computer Attacks, Malware, and Spam
Part III: Using Windows
12. Getting to Know Windows 8
13. Personalizing Windows
14. Working with Files, Folders, and Disks
Part IV: Using the Internet
15. Connecting to the Internet -- at Home and On the Road
16. Surfing the Web -- Safely and Securely
17. Researching Online
18. Buying and Selling Online
19. Banking and Paying Bills Online
20. Watching TV and Movies Online
Part V: Communicating Online
21. Sending and Receiving Email
22. Sending and Receiving Instant Messages
23. Social Networking with Facebook
24. More Social Networking with Google+, LinkedIn, and Twitter
25. Exploring the Blogosphere
Part VI: Working with Apps and Software
26. Finding New Apps in the Windows App Store
27. Installing Traditional Computer Software
28. Finding Applications in the Cloud
29. Doing Office Work
30. Staying Organized
31. Playing CDs and DVDs
32. Playing and Storing Digital Music
33. Editing and Sharing Digital Photos
34. Making and Sharing Home Movies
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
About eBook Formats
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Also available in other formats.
Get access to thousands of books and training videos about technology, professional development and digital media from more than 40 leading publishers, including Addison-Wesley, Prentice Hall, Cisco Press, IBM Press, O'Reilly Media, Wrox, Apress, and many more. If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months. That's a total savings of $199.