This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Also available in other formats.
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide is an introductory Android book for programmers with Java experience.
Based on Big Nerd Ranch’s popular Android Bootcamp, this guide will lead you through the wilderness using hands-on example apps combined with clear explanations of key concepts and APIs. This book focuses on practical techniques for developing apps compatible with Android 4.4 (KitKat) through Android 7.0 (Nougat).
Write and run code every step of the way, using Android Studio to create apps that integrate with other apps, download and display pictures from the web, play sounds, and more. Each chapter and app has been designed and tested to provide the knowledge and experience you need to get started in Android development.
The Necessary Tools
1. Your First Android Application
2. Android and Model-View-Controller
3. The Activity Lifecycle
4. Debugging Android Apps
5. Your Second Activity
6. Android SDK Versions and Compatibility
7. UI Fragments and the Fragment Manager
8. Displaying Lists with RecyclerView
9. Creating User Interfaces with Layouts and Widgets
10. Using Fragment Arguments
11. Using ViewPager
13. The Toolbar
14. SQLite Databases
15. Implicit Intents
16. Taking Pictures with Intents
17. Two-Pane Master-Detail Interfaces
21. Audio Playback with SoundPool
22. Styles and Themes
23. XML Drawables
24. More About Intents and Tasks
25. HTTP & Background Tasks
26. Loopers, Handlers, and HandlerThread
28. Background Services
29. Broadcast Intents
30. Browsing the Web and WebView
31. Custom Views and Touch Events
32. Property Animation
33. Locations and Play Services
35. Material Design