Options for Renewing Your CCNA Certification
Hello there. The other day I received a message from a Certification Reference Guide reader who expressed concern over how he should approach the renewal of his Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) credential. We do have options in this regard, so that's what we'll cover in today's post.
After you have earned your CCNA (requirements), the title is valid for three (3) years. If you let the credential expire, then you have to "rinse and repeat" the entire CCNA validation process to reattain the certification.
However, assuming you are on the ball with your CCNA expiration date, you can perform any of the following three actions to refresh your CCNA for another three years [reference]:
- pass the current CCNA exam
- pass the ICND2 exam
- pass a CCNA Concentration exam
- pass any Professional-level or Cisco Specialist exam
- pass the current CCIE or CCDE written exam
Of the three aforementioned options, the first one is obvious, the second one is less so, and the third (in my humble or not-so-humble opinion) the most compelling of all.
In point of fact, that very question was posed to me by the CRG reader to whom I referred at the outset of this post:
"Does passing a CCNA Concentration exam renew your CCNA certification?"
The answer to this question, fortunately for us, is a resounding YES.
Here is some supplemental information concerning those CCNA Concentration exams that I've cooked up for you:
- A "Fireside Chat" Concerning the New CCNA Concentrations (video)
- InformIT Certification Reference Guide: CCNA Concentrations
- InformIT: On the New CCNA Concentrations
Please note that you do not earn your CCNA by passing a Concentration exam; a valid CCNA is a prerequisite for your taking any of the three CCNA Concentration tests.
Related Pearson Resources
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Become an InformIT Member
Take advantage of special member promotions, everyday discounts, quick access to saved content, and more! Join Today.
Other Things You Might Like
- 31 Days Before Your CCNA Routing and Switching Exam: A Day-By-Day Review Guide for the ICND2 (200-101) Certification Exam, 3rd Edition