In this chapter, you explore how to configure your phone’s accessibility options—and make it easier to use. Topics include the following:
- Working with Easy Mode
- Changing Screen Fonts and Sizes
- Using Voice Feedback
- Configuring Visibility Options
- Configuring Hearing Options
- Configuring Dexterity and Interaction Options
- Working with the Assistant Menu
Let’s face it. As we get older, it often becomes more difficult to read fine print and sometimes to perform fine motor functions. And your phone packs a lot of things into its relatively small package. The result is that we sometimes have trouble seeing what’s onscreen, or tapping where we need to tap.
Fortunately, there are several settings on the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge that can make life easier for us. These include accessibility options as well as a special Easy Mode that simplifies the phone’s operation.
Working with Easy Mode
Today’s smartphones can do so many things that it’s easy to get confused. With so many options available, just what things should you tap—and which should you ignore?
If you have difficulty operating your phone, or if you find that the default screen icons are just too small to see or use comfortably, consider switching to Easy Mode. This mode presents a different screen layout and experience than the default mode.
Switch to Easy Mode
You can easily switch back and forth between Easy Mode and your phone’s default mode.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to display the notification panel.
Tap Settings to display the Settings screen.
Scroll to the Personal section and tap Easy Mode.
Tap to select Easy Mode.
- Scroll to the Easy Applications section and tap On each of the apps you want to display in Easy Mode. You can choose to display the Camera, Email, Gallery, Messages, Music, My Files, Phone, Calendar, and Video apps. Select only those you think you’ll use regularly.
Tap Done. Your phone resets itself in Easy Mode.
Use Easy Mode
Easy Mode displays fewer icons per screen, but the icons are larger. You see icons only for those apps you selected during the configuration process. In addition, all the onscreen text is larger, which makes it easier to see for anyone with vision difficulties.
- Swipe left or right to view additional screens.
- Tap any icon to launch that application.
To remove an application from the screen, tap Edit.
- Tap the minus sign to hide that app from the Easy Mode screen.
Tap Done when you’re done hiding icons.
- To view all the apps installed on your phone, even if they’re hidden in Easy Mode, tap More Apps.
To add the icon for another app to the Easy Mode screen, tap one of the + icons.
Tap the app you want to add and an icon for that app is added to the Easy Mode screen.