Exploring the Modern Computer Network: Types, Functions, and Hardware
This chapter focuses on networking as a primary platform for supporting communication. It describes types of networks, how they are used, and the type of hardware that runs them.This chapter is from the book
Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
- How do networks affect the way we interact when we learn, work, and play?
- How do networks support communication?
- What is a converged network?
- What are the four requirements for a reliable network?
- How are network devices used?
- How do local-area network (LAN) devices compare to wide-area network (WAN) devices?
- What is the basic structure of the Internet?
- How do LANs and WANs interconnect the Internet?
- What is the effect of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) use, online collaboration, video, and cloud computing on a business network?
- How do expanding networking trends affect security considerations?
- What are the three Cisco enterprise architectures and how do they meet the needs of an evolving network environment?