Question 1: I am running into a code problem with end1.
Solution 1: It is supposed to be endl (lowercase L) rather than end1.
Question 2: I am getting an error message when I run Listing 10.3.
Solution 2: Listing 10.3, Line 20, needs to read:
if (request >= 'a' && request <= 'z')
Question 3: How do you uninstall everything from the CD-ROM?
Solution 3: 1) Delete the Vc12 folder and the Msvc folder from the hard drive.
2) Remove the shortcuts from the start menu by going to Start-Settings-Taskbar. Then click on the Start Menu Programs tab, then the Remove button. Remove MS Visual C++ and then Visual C++ in 12 Easy Lessons.
3) Go to Start and then click on Run... Type in sysedit and click OK. In the system.ini window, the following two lines need to be removed... device=C:\MSVC\BIN\dosxnt.386
device=C:\MSVC\BIN\mmd.386 Now exit and save the changes.
Question 4: I am receiving an mmd.386 error message.
Solution 4: Please ensure that the following three lines are in the [386ENH] section of your system.ini:
Be sure to correct the drive and directory names for your configuration. Restart Windows after inserting one or all of these lines, the software should work for you then.
Question 5: I am having difficulty when I try to compile the code.
Solution 5: Before you compile be sure to check the following:
1) Make sure that the file name ends with .CPP and not .C
2) Go to the OPTIONS menu and then select PROJECT
3) Make sure the Project Type is set to a QuickWIN application.
4) Make sure that Use Microsoft Foundation Classes is checked
5) Make sure that the Build Mode is set to RELEASE and not Debug.
6) Once you have checked these, then select the PROJECT menu and click on BUILD (filename).EXE
This is the perfect book for beginning programmers. This book/disk set not only teaches users how to start writing code in a short period of time, but also supplies the compiler needed to generate that code.