PRODUCT SUPPORT ANNOUNCEMENT
Some videos and Web Editions may be returning errors on launch. Learn more.
This updated edition covers all of the updates to Windows XP since it was released, including Service Packs 1 and 2, and Reloaded. From-the-trenches advice on upgrading to Windows XP Pro - including detailed rollout advice for IT managers. Plan and manage deployment of Windows easily and efficiently - whether you're upgrading just a handful of computers, or an entire corporation! Includes hands-on coverage of installing, configuring and surviving on a Windows XP-based network. We not only show you how to set up Windows networking features, we show you how to install and set up basic networking hardware.Sharing files with other platforms, such as Novell Netware, Unix and Linux, Macintosh and other Windows flavors.
I. INTRODUCING WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL.
1. Introducing Windows XP Professional.
2. Getting Your Hardware and Software Ready for Windows XP.
3. Installing Windows XP Professional.
II. GETTING YOUR WORK DONE.
4. Using the Windows XP Interface.
5. Using the Simple Supplied Applications.
6. Printing and Faxing.
7. Multimedia and Imaging.
III. WINDOWS XP AND THE INTERNET.
8. Internet and TCP/IP Connection Options.
9. Browsing the World Wide Web with Internet Explorer.
10. Sending Email with Outlook Express.
11. Reading Newsgroups with Outlook Express.
12. Chatting and Conferencing with Windows Messenger.
13. Hosting Web Pages with Internet Information Services.
14. Troubleshooting Your Internet Connection.
15. Overview of Windows XP Networking.
16. Creating a Windows XP Pro Network.
17. Using a Windows XP Network.
18. Windows Unplugged: Remote and Mobile Networking.
19. Connecting Your LAN to the Internet.
20. Networking Mix and Match.
21. Network Security.
22. Troubleshooting Your Network.
V. SYSTEM CONFIGURATION AND CUSTOMIZATION.
23. Tweaking the GUI.
24. Configuration via Control Panel Applets.
25. Maintaining and Optimizing System Performance.
26. Font Management.
VI. SYSTEM CONFIGURATION AND MAINTENANCE.
27. System Utilities.
28. Managing Users.
29. Managing the Hard Disk.
30. Installing and Replacing Hardware.
31. Multibooting Windows XP with Other Operating Systems.
32. The Registry.
33. Troubleshooting and Repairing Windows XP.
A. Installing Service Pack 2.
B. New Features in Service Pack 2.