Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Ruby Way, Second Edition, The: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming, 2nd Edition
Best Value Purchase
Book + eBook Bundle
- Your Price: $53.99
- List Price: $89.98
- About Watermarked eBooks
- Your Price: $39.99
- List Price: $49.99
- Usually ships in 24 hours.
- Your Price: $31.99
- List Price: $39.99
- About Watermarked eBooks
- Copyright 2007
- Dimensions: 7x9-1/4
- Pages: 888
- Edition: 2nd
- ISBN-10: 0-672-32884-4
- ISBN-13: 978-0-672-32884-8
- eBook (Watermarked)
- ISBN-10: 0-7686-6630-9
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7686-6630-4
Ruby is an agile object-oriented language, borrowing some of the best features from LISP, Smalltalk, Perl, CLU, and other languages. Its popularity has grown tremendously in the five years since the first edition of this book.
The Ruby Way takes a “how-to” approach to Ruby programming with the bulk of the material consisting of more than 400 examples arranged by topic. Each example answers the question “How do I do this in Ruby?” Working along with the author, you are presented with the task description and a discussion of the technical constraints. This is followed by a step-by-step presentation of one good solution. Along the way, the author provides detailed commentary and explanations to aid your understanding.
• An overview of Ruby, explaining terminology and basic principles
• Operations on low-level data types (numbers, strings, regular expressions, dates)
• The new regular expression engine (Oniguruma)
• Internationalization (I18N) and message catalogs in Ruby
• Operations on hashes, arrays, and other data structures such as stacks, trees, and graphs
• Working with general I/O, files, and persistent objects
• Database coverage including MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, DBI, and more
• Ruby-specific techniques in OOP and dynamic programming
• Graphical interfaces in Ruby (Tk, GTK+, Fox, and Qt)
• Working with Ruby threads for lightweight multitasking
• Everyday scripting and system administration in Ruby
• Working with image files, PDFs, YAML, XML, RSS, and Atom
• Testing, debugging, profiling, and packaging Ruby code
• Low-level network programming and client-server interaction
• Web development tools including Rails, Nitro, Wee, IOWA, and more
• Working with distributed Ruby, Rinda, and Ring
• Ruby development tools such as IDEs, documentation tools, and more
The source code for the book can be downloaded from www.rubyhacker.com
Hal Fulton has worked for over 15 years with variousforms of Unix, including AIX, Solaris, and Linux. He was first exposed to Ruby in 1999, and in 2001 he began work on the first edition of this book–the second Ruby book published in the English language. He has attendednumerous Ruby conferences and has given presentations at several of those, including the first European Ruby Conference.
He has two degrees in computer science from the University of Mississippi and taught computer science for four years before moving to Austin, Texas to work as a contractor for variouscompanies, including IBM Austin. Hal currently works at Broadwing Communications in Austin, Texas, maintaining a large data warehouse and related telecom applications, working daily with C++, Oracle, and, of course, Ruby.
Online Sample Chapter
Downloadable Sample Chapter
Download the Sample Chapter from this book.
Table of Contents
1 Ruby in Review
2 Working with Strings
3 Working with Regular Expressions
4 Internationalization in Ruby
5 Performing Numerical Calculations
6 Symbols and Ranges
7 Working with Times and Dates
8 Arrays, Hashes, and Other Enumerables
9 More Advanced Data Structures
10 I/O and Data Storage
11 OOP and Dynamic Features in Ruby
12 Graphical Interfaces for Ruby
13 Threads in Ruby
14 Scripting and System Administration
15 Ruby and Data Formats
16 Testing and Debugging
17 Packaging and Distributing Code
18 Network Programming
19 Ruby and Web Applications
20 Distributed Ruby
21 Ruby Development Tools
22 The Ruby Community
ONE MONTH ACCESS!
Get unlimited 30-day access to thousands of Books & Training Videos about technology, professional development and digital media If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months.
- Request an Instructor or Media review copy.
- Corporate, Academic, and Employee Purchases
- International Buying Options
Other Things You Might Like
- Assembly Language for x86 Processors, 7th Edition
- Book $142.80
- Learning iCloud Data Management: A Hands-On Guide to Structuring Data for iOS and OS X
- eBook (Watermarked) $25.59
- R for Everyone: Advanced Analytics and Graphics
- Book $31.99