A single source of reference detailing the most popular serial interface. The list of devices covered has grown from 200 in the first edition to nearly 1,000 in the second edition.
1. Introduction to RS-232.
2. Communication Jargon.
3. Asynchronous Modems and RS-232.
4. EIA-232-D Operation in a Private Line Environment.
5. Synchronous Environments.
6. Secondary Signals and Flow Control.
7. Cross Connections.
8. Interfacing Equipment.
9. Most Frequently Asked Questions about Interfacing and Answers to Questions from Chapter 1-8.
Appendix A: EIA Standard EIA-232-D.
Appendix B: EIA Standard EIA-449.
Appendix C: Industrial Electronics Bulletin No. 12.
Appendix D: EIA-232-D Circuit Summary With CCITT Equivalents.
Appendix E: Tools of The Trade.
Appendix F: Pinouts for Serial Ports of Computers and Peripherals.
Appendix G: Interconnections Between Computers and Peripherals.
Appendix H: Industry Standard and Modular Cables.
Appendix I: Common Connectors, Pinouts and Numbering Schemes.
Appendix J: TRW Modular to DB-2S Adapters.
Appendix K: Rules for Cable Design.
Appendix L: Interfacing Problems and Remedies.
Appendix M: ASCII Character Set.