Introduces students to the latest and most important topics in polymer science.
Provides students with greater pedagogical resources for a deeper understanding of the subject matter.
Gives students a greater understanding of these topics.
Provides students with practical applications of the topics discussed.
Introduces students to practical, real world applications of polymer science.
The definitive guide to polymer principles, properties, synthesis, and applications
Polymer Science and Technology, Second Edition systematically reviews both the current state of polymer science and technology and emerging advances in the field. Leading polymer specialist Joel R. Fried offers thoroughly updated coverage of both polymer processing principles and the latest polymer applications in a wide range of industries -- including medicine, biotechnology, chemicals, and electronics.
In addition to synthetic polymer chemistry, Fried covers polymer properties in solution and in melt, rubber, and solid states, and surveys all important categories of plastics. This Second Edition also adds many new example calculations, homework problems, and bibliographic references. In-depth coverage includes:
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
Preface to First Edition.
1. Introduction to Polymer Science.
2. Polymer Synthesis.
3. Confirmation, Solutions, and Molecular Weight.
4. Solid-State Properties.
5. Viscoelasticity and Rubber Elasticity.
6. Polymer Degradation and the Environment.
7. Additives, Blends, and Composites.
8. Biopolymers, Natural Polymers, and Fibers.
9. Thermoplastics, Elastomers, and Thermosets.
10. Engineering and Specialty Polymers.
11. Polymer Rheology and Processing.
12. Polymers for Advanced Technologies.