Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
More Exceptional C++: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions
- Your Price: $39.99
- List Price: $49.99
- Usually ships in 24 hours.
- Copyright 2002
- Dimensions: 7-3/8x9-1/4
- Pages: 304
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-201-70434-X
- ISBN-13: 978-0-201-70434-1
Organized in a practical problem-and-solution format, More Exceptional C++ picks up where the widely acclaimed Exceptional C++ leaves off, providing successful strategies for solving real-world problems in C++. Drawing from years of in-the-trenches experience, Herb Sutter provides tested techniques and practical solutions for programmers designing modern software systems with C++, from small projects to enterprise applications.
Built around forty programming puzzles, More Exceptional C++ helps you understand the rules and issues critical to successful software design and development in C++. New themes included in this sequel place a strong emphasis on generic programming, memory management, and using the C++ standard library, including coverage of important techniques like traits and predicates. Also included are guidelines and considerations to remember when using standard containers and algorithms--topics rarely covered in-depth in other sources.Readers will find solutions to such important questions as:
- What pitfalls might you encounter when using std::map and std::set, and how can you safely avoid them?
- What kinds of predicates are safe to use with the STL, what kinds aren't, and why?
- What techniques are available for writing powerful generic template code that can change its own behavior based on the capabilities of the types it's given to work with?
- When and how should you optimize your code? Why can (and do) fancy optimizations get us into trouble? And how can some of these answers change if you're writing multithread-safe code?
- Does exception safety affect class design, or can it be retrofitted in as an afterthought?
- How can you avoid the Siamese Twin problem when combining inheritance-based libraries from different vendors?
- How can you safely use auto_ptr, and then use common design patterns to adapt it to avoid common pitfalls? Can you use auto_ptr as a class member? What must you know before you elect to use it that way?
- Plus one of the most frequently recurring questions about modern C++: When and how should you use namespaces, anyway?
A must-have for the serious programmer, More Exceptional C++ provides a thorough and pragmatic understanding of the language while showing you how to write exceptional code in C++.
ONE MONTH ACCESS!
Get unlimited 30-day access to thousands of Books & Training Videos about technology, professional development and digital media If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months.
- Request an Instructor or Media review copy.
- Corporate, Academic, and Employee Purchases
- International Buying Options
Other Things You Might Like
- Tour of C++, A
- Book $23.99
- Tour of C++, A
- eBook (Watermarked) $19.19