Adobe® Digital Editions software.This eBook requires the free
Before downloading this DRM-encrypted PDF, be sure to:
Unleash your computer's potential with proven techniques for getting the most out of Windows XP Service Pack 2.
While what you create using your computer is a unique expression of who you are, how you use your computer probably isn't. Nearly every Windows XP user follows the same Start menu path to launch programs, uses the same standard techniques in programs like Windows Explorer and Outlook Express, and performs the same customizations that don't go much beyond changing the wallpaper. However, there are those of us who qualify as the "post-novice" user, who think that doing things the "official" way is too slow, less efficient and less powerful than there is potential for with Windows XP. Microsoft Windows XP Unleashed will take you beyond the standard-issue default settings and program wizards to shortcuts, new customization techniques, workarounds for common problems, and warnings on how to avoid the pitfalls of Windows XP, including those associated with Service Pack 2. Along the way, you'll learn about all kinds of insider details, undocumented features, powerful tools, and background facts that help put everything about Windows XP into perspective.
I. UNLEASHING DAY-TO-DAY WINDOWS XP.
1. Customizing and Troubleshooting the Windows XP Startup.
2. Exploring Expert File and Folder Techniques.
3. Mastering File Types.
4. Working with Digital Media.
5. Installing and Running Applications.
6. Getting the Most Out of User Accounts.
II. UNLEASHING ESSENTIAL WINDOWS XP POWER TOOLS.
7. Using Control Panel, Group Policies, and Tweak UI.
8. Getting to Know the Windows XP Registry.
9. Programming the Windows Script Host.
III. UNLEASHING WINDOWS XP CUSTOMIZATION AND OPTIMIZATION.
10. Customizing the Windows XP Interface.
11. Tuning Windows XP's Performance.
12. Maintaining Your Windows XP System.
13. Troubleshooting and Recovering from Problems.
14. Getting the Most Out of Device Manager.
IV. UNLEASHING WINDOWS XP MODEM COMMUNICATIONS.
15. Getting Started with Modem Communications.
16. Putting Your Modem to Work.
V. UNLEASHING WINDOWS XP FOR THE INTERNET.
17. Implementing TCP/IP for Internet Connections.
18. Exploring the Web with Internet Explorer.
19. Communicating with Internet Email.
20. Chaptericipating in Internet Newsgroups.
21. Implementing Windows XP's Internet Security and Privacy Features.
VI. UNLEASHING WINDOWS XP NETWORKING.
22. Setting Up and Accessing a Small Network.
23. Making Remote Network Connections.
24. Troubleshooting Network Problems.
Appendix A: Windows XP Keyboard Shortcuts.
Appendix B: Using the Windows XP Command Prompt.
Appendix C: Automating Windows XP with Batch Files.
Appendix D: Glossary.