Microsoft Windows 7 Unleashed
Product Author Bios
Paul McFedries, president of Logophilia Limited, is a full-time technical writer, passionate computer tinkerer, and Windows expert. He has authored 60+ computer books that have sold 3,000,000+ copies. His recent titles include Tweak It and Freak It: A Killer Guide to Making Windows Run Your Way; Windows Vista Unleashed, 2E; Windows Home Server Unleashed; Build It. Fix It. Own It; Networking with Windows Vista; Formulas and Functions with Microsoft Excel 2007; Tricks of the Microsoft Office 2007 Gurus, and Microsoft Access 2007 Forms, Reports, and Queries. He is also proprietor of Word Spy (www.wordspy.com) a website that tracks new words and phrases as they enter the English language.
Covers Release Candidate of Windows 7.
With purchase of this book you will get a free online edition written on final product. See product registration ad in back of book for details.
Microsoft® Windows 7 Unleashed gives IT professionals, serious power users, and true geeks the powerhouse Windows 7 tweaks, hacks, techniques, and insights they need: knowledge that simply can’t be found anywhere else. Top Windows expert Paul McFedries dives deep into Windows 7, returning with the most powerful ways to handle everything from networking to administration, security to scripting.
McFedries begins with advanced customization, covering everything from startup/shutdown to the file system. He introduces new ways to tune Windows 7 performance, police Windows via Group Policies, tweak the Registry, make the most of Windows 7s management tools, and control Windows 7 from the command line. You’ll find thorough coverage of securing Windows 7, including detailed guidance on web and email security and hardening both wireless and wired networks. You’ll also discover better ways to troubleshoot devices, networks, and startup; add Macs to Windows networks; and automate Windows administration with state-of-the-art scripting techniques.
This book is packed with expert tips, tricks, and troubleshooting techniques drawn from McFedries’ unsurpassed Windows experience. If you want maximum value and performance from your Windows 7 PCs, you won’t
find a more valuable resource.
- Customize everything about Windows 7: IE8, startup/shutdown, file systems, the Start menu, Taskbar, and more
- Systematically monitor, tune, and optimize Windows performance–including practical techniques for accelerating startup
- Set up an easy, automated 9-Step maintenance schedule for any Windows 7 PC
- Unleash Windows 7s power user tools, including Group Policies, the Registry, MMC, and the command line
- Secure Windows 7 with security settings: auto-lock, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, parental controls, BitLocker encryption, and more
- Protect your web privacy with Windows 7s new InPrivate Browsing
- Solve problems with Windows 7, startup, networking, and hardware
- Set up reliable Windows 7 networks, and manage them efficiently
- Safely provide remote access and VPN connectivity
- Use Windows 7 as a Web server
- Program the Windows Scripting Host and Windows PowerShell
ON THE WEB:
- Free Online Edition! When Microsoft releases the final product, you can get an updated edition of this book absolutely free!
- All examples and source code presented in this book
$49.99 USA / $59.99 CANz
32 of 33 people found the following review helpful
Excellent resource for the truly "Intermediate to Advanced" audience,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Unleashed (Paperback)Before writing my own review, I was very surprised that this book didn't carry a 4+ star overall rating -- it's at least a 4-star book, but only for the right audience. If you are a casual user of Windows -- if you're NOT a "power user" who is interesting in lots of user interface customizations, and if you aren't interested in saving keystrokes or mouse clicks anywhere you can -- then this books wasn't written for you. If you are a casual user who wants more breadth and less depth on Windows 7, I enjoyed reading Windows 7 Secrets, a new book by Paul Thurrott. Both "Windows 7 Secrets" and "Windows 7 Unleashed" are listed on the back cover with a "User Level: Intermediate-Advanced". This book targets that audience, whereas "Windows 7 Secrets" is more for casual Windows enthusiasts who want to learn not only something about Windows 7,... Read more
49 of 57 people found the following review helpful
No history lessons here.,
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Unleashed (Paperback)This book is essentially for the "save the introductions" audience, offering a wealth of information for those using the RC of Windows 7 and looking forward to the October launch. I've technically reviewed dozens of books covering Windows versions during the past decade, but this is the first from McFedries. Of particular note is that the author obviously understands his subject thoroughly yet maintains efficiency with the delivery of the technical concepts. Moreover he seems to "get" his audience. There's a great balance here that readers from hobbyist types to IT pros are likely to greatly appreciate.
I'm one of many using the RC as a main OS and we now know 7 is more than a polished Vista. As expected, the new features are prominently covered in this book and while I found it slightly customization heavy I'm certain many will enjoy the myriad ways one can personalize everything from startup to IE8. I think the real meat is in learning how to maximize 7s attributes. Of... Read more
10 of 11 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Unleashed (Paperback)Though Windows 7 has not been released yet, this book contains lots of interesting information about modifying Windows in order to make it you own...
This book is not for beginners as most of it deals with modifying the registry and creating scripts to improve performance.
› See all 13 customer reviews...
Online Sample Chapter
Download the sample pages (includes Chapter 12 and Index)
Table of Contents
Part I. Unleashing Windows 7 Customization
1. Customizing Windows Explorer
2. Customizing Internet Explorer
3. Customizing the File System
4. Customizing Startup and Shutdown
5. Customizing the Start Menu and Taskbar
Part II. Unleashing Windows 7 Performance and Maintenance
6. Tuning Windows 7's Performance
7. Maintaining Your Windows 7 System
Part III. Unleashing Windows 7 Power User Tools
8. Controlling Windows 7 with Control Panel
9. Policing Windows 7 with Group Policies
10. Configuring the Microsoft Management Console
11. Controlling Services
12. Tweaking the Windows 7 Registry
13. Controlling Windows 7 from the Command Line
Part IV. Unleashing Windows 7 Security
14. Securing Windows 7
15. Configuring Web Security
16. Implementing Email Security
17. Securing the File System
18. Setting Up User Security
19. Implementing Network Security
20. Tightening Wireless Network Security
Part V. Unleashing Windows 7 Troubleshooting
21. Troubleshooting and Recovering from Problems
22. Troubleshooting Devices
23. Troubleshooting Startup
24. Troubleshooting Networking
Part VI. Unleashing Windows 7 Networking
25. Setting Up a Small Network
26. Accessing and Using Your Network
27. Making Remote Network Connections
28. Turning Windows 7 Into a Web Server
29. Adding Macs to Your Windows 7 Network
Part VII. Unleashing Windows 7 Scripting
30. Programming the Windows Scripting Host
31. Programming Windows PowerShell
Book + eBook Bundle
Book Price $39.99
eBook Price $14.00
eBook formats included
This book includes free shipping!
This book includes free shipping!
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
About eBook Formats
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Get access to thousands of books and training videos about technology, professional development and digital media from more than 40 leading publishers, including Addison-Wesley, Prentice Hall, Cisco Press, IBM Press, O'Reilly Media, Wrox, Apress, and many more. If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months. That's a total savings of $199.