- Copyright 2011
- Dimensions: 6" x 9"
- Pages: 368
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-13-477027-7
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-477027-7
For nonprofits leadership transitions are a time of exceptionally high risk. Here, three internationally-respected experts show how to systematically identify, introduce, support, and monitor leaders in ways that enhance rather than undermine their performance. They explain why leadership transitions are so challenging for nonprofits, and show how to replace chaos and crisis with proven, sustainable leadership transition plans.
Writing for all nonprofit board members, leaders, aspiring leaders, and stakeholders, the authors demonstrate how to:
- Maintain organizational momentum, continuity, and credibility through the transition
- Find leaders who align well with your organizational values and its evolving culture
- Avoid fighting, rumors, accusations, and the common mistakes that derail nonprofit leadership transitions
- Build a sturdy bridge between departing and incoming leaders
- Set appropriate expectations for both boards and leaders, and guide them to complement each other successfully
- Plan succession and continuity for the long-term
- Use transitions to advance the organization’s mission