- Presents the most complete and authoritative exploration of ISDN available in a text of this kind.
- Provides thorough coverage of Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) including the new technology, standards, and other developments in this leading-edge area.
- Provides a discussion of frame relay that incorporates the most important advances in both technology and standards in this area crucial to ISDN and private networks.
- Provides a full treatment of standards, the key determining factor in ISDN and B-ISDN. Students will gain a valuable understanding of the various standards, including, among others:
- Contains a wealth of pedagogical features (e.g. homework problems, glossary, list of acronyms, and chapter summaries) to facilitate learning, making this the only true textbook-style treatment of ISDN.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- NEW - Includes new material on xDSL and ADSL as well as ATM traffic and on the available bit rate (ABR) service of ATM.
- NEW - Provides updated coverage of ITU-T standards and ATM Forum standards.
- NEW - Provides solutions to all homework problems in the solutions manual.
- NEW - Features a web site designed to support the text: http://www1.shore.net/~ws/ISDN4e.html
- Copyright 1999
- Edition: 4th
- ISBN-10: 0-13-973744-8
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-973744-2
I have not found a text that provides a more comprehensive treatment of the topics contained in this text, ranging from ISDN and Broadband ISDN to frame relay and ATM. -Thomas Gannon, Adjunct Professor, Electric and Computer Engineering Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Best-selling author William Stallings provides an in-depth presentation of the technology and architecture of integrated services digital networks (ISDN). This book covers the integrated digital network (IDN), ISDN services, architecture, signaling system no. 7 (SS7) and includes a comprehensive treatment of the ITU-T protocol standards. Detailed coverage of protocols and congestion control strategies for both frame relay and ATM are also provided.
New to this edition:
- Coverage of the new digital susbscriber line technologies, including ADSL.
- Expanded coverage of ATM services and traffic control, including the ABR.
- Updated coverage of ATM Forum specifications.
- Web page for the book to provide further information and links to related sites.
Table of Contents
I. DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS FUNDAMENTALS. 2. Digital Transmission. 3. Line Coding and the Subscriber Line. 4. Communication Networks.
II. INTEGRATED SERVICE DIGITAL NETWORKS. 5. ISDN Overview. 6. ISDN Interfaces and Functions. 7. ISDN Physical Layer. 8. ISDN Data Link Layer. 9. ISDN Network Layer. 10. ISDN Services. 11. Signaling System Number 7.
III. FRAME RELAY. 12. Frame Relay Protocols and Services. 13. Frame Relay Congestion Control.
IV. BROADBAND ISDN. 14. Broadband ISDN Architecture. 15. Broadband ISDN Protocols.
V. ASYNCHRONOUS TRANSFER MODE. 16. ATM Protocols. 17. ATM Traffic and Congestion Control. Appendix A. Flow Control, Error Detection, and Error Control. Appendix B. The OSI Reference Model. Glossary. References. Index.
New To This Edition
- NEW Includes new material on xDSL and ADSL as well as ATM traffic and on the available bit rate (ABR) service of ATM.
- NEW Provides updated coverage of ITU-T standards and ATM Forum standards.
- NEW Provides solutions to all homework problems in the solutions manual.
- NEW Features a web site designed to support the text: <%-3>http://www1.shore.net/~ws/ISDN4e.html