Adobe® Digital Editions software.This eBook requires the free
Before downloading this DRM-encrypted PDF, be sure to:
Also available in other formats.
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
The consumer electronics industry is entering an era of extraordinary growth. The industry’s best companies will ride that wave to unprecedented success. But, today, many CE companies are struggling with business models that are simply untenable. They must change to survive: they must change even more dramatically to win.
In this book, two world-renowned consultants preview the industry’s future—from online gaming to telehealthcare, and beyond. Next, they present a powerful new blueprint, offering indispensable guidance on everything from technology platforms to user interface design, branding to channel strategies. You’ll discover how to uncover new sources of value, design better models for doing business, and fuel growth by reaching new geographical markets. Whatever your role in the industry, this book will help you:
· Make better decisions, find your differentiators, and focus on your key success drivers
· Tap into the emergent “meta-value” that arises when technologies, devices, services, and content come together
· Reach tomorrow’s smart, service-sensitive shopper: not just the “technology-hungry” customers
· Widen margins by adding value consumers will pay for
· Transform cost structures to support rapid growth and nonstop change
· Sell into China, India, and other fast-growing emerging markets
· Preview “telehealthcare”: the surprising application for the living room
· Gain new insights into online gaming, smart home technology, and more
· Discover the immense power of IBM’s Cell Broadband Engine processor—and the business opportunities it enables
· Leverage embedded Linux to build more affordable, profitable, consumer-centric products
· Develop higher-value software for connected consumer electronics
· Differentiate products through state-of-the-art design and user interfaces
· Discover what the industry’s “winners” will look like in five years—and how to be one of them
The consumer electronics industry continues to grow at breakneck speed: from MP3 players to home healthcare devices, consumers are adopting new technologies faster than ever before. But most consumer electronics companies are struggling with razor-thin margins, or even losses. Their traditional business models simply aren’t working anymore. In Irresistible! Markets, Models, and Meta-Value in Consumer Electronics, IBM’s leading consumer electronic industry consultants reveal powerful new opportunities to profit—and offer realistic advice for leveraging them.
Drawing on their experience working with innovators from Helsinki to Osaka, the authors and contributors introduce revolutionary On Demand Business models for improving profitability, and identify tomorrow’s most profitable CE opportunities. They cover every element of success: technology, design, service, branding, channel strategies, and much more. Whether you’re an executive or engineer, strategist or entrepreneur, this book will help you find your differentiators, focus on your key success drivers—and become one of this industry’s big long-term winners!
About the Authors xix
About the Editors xxiii
Chapter 1: Irresistible Electronics, Turbulent Times 1
Chapter 2: The New Role of Technology and Services in Next-Generation Businesses 15
Chapter 3: The Consumer’s Internet—Thin Clients & Fat Hosts for Everyone 33
Chapter 4: The Smart Home : Coming to Your House Soon, but Not Too Soon 47
Chapter 5: Telehealthcare : The Key to the Living Room 63
Chapter 6: Online Gaming Environments : People, Technology, Money, and Social Networks 85
Chapter 7: The Soul of the Next Generation of Consumer Electronics Products 109
Chapter 8: IBM’s Global Technology Outlook and Its Implications to Consumer Electronics 125
Chapter 9: Embedded Linux : For Embedded Systems Today and into the Future 137
Chapter 10: Software Development Strategies for Connected Consumer Electronics 153
Chapter 11: Differentiation Through Product and User Interface Design 175
Chapter 12: Consumer Relationships : A Tale of Channels and Brands 189
Chapter 13: Consumer Electronics in China in Year 2011 209