- Copyright 2014
- Dimensions: 7-3/8" x 9"
- Pages: 704
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-7356-6704-7
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7356-6704-4
Your hands-on guide to Visual Basic fundamentals
Expand your expertise—and teach yourself the fundamentals of Microsoft Visual Basic 2013. If you have previous programming experience but are new to Visual Basic 2013, this tutorial delivers the step-by-step guidance and coding exercises you need to master core topics and techniques.
Discover how to:
- Master essential Visual Basic programming techniques
- Begin building apps for Windows Store, Windows Phone 8, and ASP.NET
- Design apps using XAML markup, touch input, and live tiles
- Tackle advanced language concepts, such as polymorphism
- Manage data sources including XML documents and web data
- Create a Windows Phone 8 app that manages key lifecycle events
Follow the instructions to download this book's companion files or practice files.
- Click the Download button below to start the download.
- If prompted, click Save.
- Locate the .zip file on your computer. Right-click the file, click Extract All, and then follow the instructions.
Download the sample content
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Visual Studio development
- Chapter 1: Visual Basic 2013 development opportunities and the Windows Store
- Chapter 2: The Visual Studio Integrated Development Environment
- Chapter 3: Creating your first Windows Store application
- Chapter 4: Windows desktop apps: A walkthrough using Windows Forms
- Designing the user interface
- Chapter 5: Working with Windows Store app controls
- Chapter 6: Working with Windows Forms controls
- Chapter 7: XAML markup step by step
- Chapter 8: Using XAML styles
- Chapter 9: Exploring Windows 8.1 design features: Command bar, flyout, tiles, and touch
- Chapter 10: Creating console applications
- Visual Basic programming techniques
- Chapter 11: Mastering data types, operators, and string processing
- Chapter 12: Creative decision structures and loops
- Chapter 13: Trapping errors by using structured error handling
- Chapter 14: Using arrays, collections, and generics to manage data
- Chapter 15: Innovative data management with LINQ
- Chapter 16: Object-oriented programming techniques
- Database and web programming
- Chapter 17: Database controls for Windows desktop apps
- Chapter 18: Data access for Windows Store apps
- Chapter 19: Visual Studio web development with ASP.NET
- Microsoft Windows Phone programming
- Chapter 20: Introduction to Windows Phone 8 development
- Chapter 21: Creating your first Windows Phone 8 application
- About the author
We've made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this book and its companion content. Any errors that have been confirmed since this book was published can be downloaded below.
Download the errata