With over 650 tips, tactics, techniques and thought provoking business questions, The Financial Times Guide to New Business Development is the authoritative, down-to-earth guide to attracting more customers and clients, getting them to pay the prices you want and influencing them to recommend others to buy from you as well.
By the time you have read and digested the 650+ tips, tools, techniques and strategic questions in this book you will have the answers to all of these questions. You will also know what to do to get bigger and better results.
“I am 100% confident that you will find the book engaging, provocative and informative and that, if you follow the steps, you will automatically experience massive improvements in your business development results.” – Ian Cooper
Shortlisted for the Innovation and Entrepreneurship category in the 2012 Chartered Management Institute's Management Book of the Year Awards.
Chapter 1 - The 21 Common Sense Business Development Truths
1. Focus On Converting Leads, Not Just Generating Leads
2. Exceed Customer Expectations
3. Speak To Potential Customers And Clients And Speak To Them Nicely
4. Be Open For Business
5. Dont Let Your Administration Get In The Way
6. Theres No Job More Important Than Helping Customers or Clients Part With Their Cash
7. Dont Let Technology Get In The Way
8. Quality And Word Of Mouth Counts For Everything
9. Actively Strive For Consistency
10. Recruitment Is Part Of Business Development
11. Keep In Touch With Your Existing Customers And Clients
12. Master Social Online Media
13. Test Your Ideas, Concepts And Prices
14. Plan, But Keep Things Simple
15. Take Complaints Seriously
16. Make Your Customer Or Client Environment Appropriate
17. Train Your People To Spot Opportunities
18. Get Out Of Your Office Or Premises And Mix And Mingle
19. Find A Niche And Specialise
20. Model What Works Best
21. Be Squeaky Clean
Chapter 2 - Asking The Right Business Questions: A Toolkit For Business Development
The 5 Impact Questions
The 100 Business Development Questions
Chapter 3 - The 20 Business Development Pricing Tools, Truths And Techniques
1. Winning Business Is Not The Most Important Thing Being Profitable Is.
2. Price Is A Communications Issue, Not A Financial Or Accounting One.
3. Focus On Value And Service And Not Just Price.
4. Bundle In And Include As Much As You Can.
5. Unbundle And Charge Things Separately.
6. Dont Fall Into The Price Trap.
7. Consider Increasing Your Prices.
8. Use Division And Comparison.
9. Get Others To Justify Your Prices.
10. Price With Guarantees.
11. Price For Specialisation.
12. Price For Profile And Experience.
13. Price Based On Feedback And Testing.
14. Price For Prestige.
15. Price For Know-How.
16. Price With The Competition In Mind.
17. If You Must Have A Loss Leader, Make It Count.
18. Consider Special Deals, Promotions, Sales And Discounts.
19. Price For Easy Payment.
20. Pricing With Magic Numbers.
Chapter 4 Introducing The Business Development Priorities
Priority 1 Convert Leads, Opportunities And Enquiries Into Profitable Business.
Priority 2 Develop More Business From Existing Customers And Clients.
Priority 3 Externalise Business Development Efforts To Generate New Opportunities, Leads And Enquiries.
Chapter 5 - Priority 1 Convert Leads, Opportunities And Enquiries Into Profitable Business.
The 10 Commandments Of Converting Leads And Enquiries.
The 5 Step Conversion System.
Chapter 6 - Priority 2 Develop More Business From Existing Customers And Clients.
The Five Golden Rules:
Golden Rule 1 Know Your Customers And Clients.
Golden Rule 2 Keep Your Customers And Clients Happy.
Golden Rule 3 Keep In Touch With Customers And Clients
Golden Rule 4 Offer Additional Products And Services.
Golden Rule 5 Get Customers And Clients To Give You Referrals And Recommendations.
Chapter 7 - Priority 3 Externalise Business Development Efforts To Generate New Opportunities, Leads And Enquiries.
The Common Sense Guide To Developing Your Business Online.
14 Ways To Develop Your Business Through Joint Ventures And Collaboration.
How To Win In Competitive Situations.
Brand Your Way To Business Development Success.
Direct Targeting By Telephone
Chapter 8 - Personal Performance Business Development Skills
Sales Skills 9 Key Tips
Writing Skills 8 Important Rules
Conversational Networking Skills 8 Key Issues
Presentation Skills 10 Golden Rules
Negotiation Skills 10 Golden Rules
Time Management Skills 8 Important Tips
Chapter 9 Pulling It Altogether Making It Happen
Beware Of Planning Madness
Know What To Do First
Create Some Have To Targets
Hit Your Targets By Working Backwards
Provide Strong Leadership
Stop Putting Things Off