General Engineering & Hardware
Composite Materials, Vol. II: Processing, Fabrication, and Applications
- Your Price: $114.75
- List Price: $135.00
- Available on demand.
- Early chapters describe the three main families of composite materials and offer the most comprehensive list and description of processing methods for the composite families. The reader can clarify advantages and classification of various families facilitating project planning. Pg.___
- More than a reference book, this is a complete guide to composite processing, fabrication, and applications. Pg.___
- Discusses the future of computer-aided composite modeling and finite element analysis .Pg.___
- Extensive coverage of applications in aerospace, the automotive industry, and the computer industry. Pg.___
- Covers post-treatment processing of metals, ceramics, polymers, and other engineered materials. Pg.___
- Provides up-to-date information on commercial, military, and industrial applications. Pg.___
- Copyright 1997
- Dimensions: 7 x 9 1/4
- Pages: 592
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-13-300039-7
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-300039-9
30003-8 Make the most of today's high-tech materials for engineering success. Contemporary technologies are yielding an ever-changing array of new materials that combine low cost and low environmental impact with improved strength and reliability. To take advantage of these materials, engineers must fully understand their unique properties.
This practical manual reviews in detail the behavior of composite materials in a broad spectrum of manufacturing and postprocessing situations, with a special focus on the use of innovative materials in a number of different industrial and commercial applications.
After introducing the principal forms and components of composite materials, the discussion covers:
- Basic fabrication techniques and processing methods for polymeric matrices, metal matrix composites, and ceramic matrix composites
- Posttreatment processing, including machining, forming, and joining for the various classes of materials
- Applications of composite materials in fields as diverse as spacecraft, engines, marine cable, sporting goods, and medical equipment
- The future of composite materials manufacturing, including nanotechnology.
This book provides engineers in the field with an insightful overview of current issues in materials processing. As a text book, this up-to-date volume offers practical information for students in a wide variety of engineering disciplines.
Table of Contents
1. Processing of Composite Materials.
Introduction. Fibers. Matrices. Fabrication Processes for Polymeric Matrices. Fabrication of Glass-Ceramic Composites. Metal Matrix Composite Processing. Ceramic Matrix Composite Processing. 2. Posttreatment Process.
Introduction. Posttreatment. Processing of Composite Materials. Machining. Joining PMCs. Forming and Finishing PMCs. MMC Machining. Joining MMCs. Forming MMCs. Finishing and Corrosion Protection. CMCs. 3. Application of Composite Materials.
Introduction. Principles for the Future. Cooperation. Composite Age. Applications. Index.
Unlimited one-month access with your purchase