Adobe® Digital Editions software.This eBook requires the free
Before downloading this DRM-encrypted PDF, be sure to:
Also available in other formats.
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
We've all seen it the e-mails that come to us from a sender we don't know and promise a frog that jumps across our screen, a low mortgage rate or a medical miracle pill. These e-mails are otherwise known as spam. Your inbox gets cluttered or worse, your computer is infected with a virus as you scratch your head, wondering how it ever happened. Now there is a way to stop the madness! Canning Spam: You've Got Mail (That You Don't Want) is your remedy to inbox clutter and infected computers. Learn how spammers get your e-mail address and how to stop them, how viruses are transmitted through attachments, how spammers can mask their true identity and how to ultimately block unwanted e-mails. Next time you log in to your e-mail account, be happy to hear those three little words: You've Got Mail!
1. Stealing Candy from a Baby: How Spammers Harvest Email Addresses.
2. Neither Confirm Nor Deny: How Email Attacks Determine that an Email Address is Active.
3. Bad Things Come in Small Packages: How Viruses are Transmitted Through Email Attachments.
4. Using Email Clients for Good and Evil: Guarding Against Script-Based Viruses and Worms.
5. Would the Real Sender Please Stand Up?: How Spammers Spoof Email Identities.
6. Unwilling Accomplices?: How Spammers Mask their Identities using Email Relaying.
7. Separating the Wheat from the Chaff: Using Filters to Block Unwanted Emails.
8. Don't Send us a Postcard: Insuring that your Email is not Sent in the Clear.
9. You've Got Some Email in my Web Site: Using Web-based Email Services Securely.
10. The Bigger they are, the Harder they Fall: Mitigating Denial of Email Services Attacks.
Appendix A. Email Protocols.
Appendix B. Popular Email Tools.
Appendix C. Email Legal Information.