• More that 115 complete C++ programs are spread out over 8 chapters. By including both code snippets and then showing the concept in a complete program, students can better understand how programming concepts fit into “bigger” programs.
• Several C++ classes are introduced early in the text. Once students reach the chapter on writing their own classes, they have already mastered the object-oriented concepts.
• End-of-chapter exercises engage students’ interest since string, vector, queue, stringstream, ifstream and ofstream classes are introduced early. This enables students to build complex and interesting programs.
• Unique Practice! sections at the end of each chapter illustrate the common compiler and linker errors beginning students often run into, the cause of the error and how to solve it – generating overwhelmingly enthusiastic student feedback.
• Each chapter includes many programming exercises suitable for weekly assignments.
• More than 140 figures, diagrams, and screen captures illustrate topics and concepts wherever possible.
– For example, the idea of variables’ addresses being passed via pointers or references are shown with clear drawing illustrating how functions use the addresses to “return” values to the calling function. This is a difficult concept to grasp strictly by reading, but comes across clearly in a few pictures.
• The concise appendices handle essential topics for beginning students that other texts often exclude.
• Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is packaged with the text, providing students with an excellent development tool for learning object-oriented programming.
For any introductory C++ Programming Language course or general introductory computer programming course.
C++ Programming Today, 2/E presents the C++ language and object-oriented theory in an easy-to-read, comprehensive text. Written in an easy-to-read, informal style, it guides the reader from beginning programming through complex object-oriented techniques. The text has a large variety of program examples along with easy-to-understand figures, summary reference tables, and appendices. The text is filled with practical programming information including style guidance, debugging, multi-file program construction, and real-world, commonsense programming advice. Extensively classroom tested during development, the text incorporates the excellent student feedback and suggestions the author received. In addition, Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is packaged with the text, providing students with an excellent development tool for learning object-oriented programming.
1. C++ Overview and Software Development.
2. Getting Started, Data Types, Variables, Op, Arithmetic, Simple I/O and the C++ String.
3. Control Statements and Loops.
4. Functions Part 1, The Basics.
5. Functions Part 2, Variable Addresses, Pointers, and References.
7. Writing Classes and Using Objects.
8. Inheritance and Virtual Functions.
A. Getting Started with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.
B. C++ Keywords Dictionary.
C. Operators in C++.
D. ASCII Character Codes.
E. Bits, Bytes, Memory and Hexadecimal Notation.
F. File Input/Output.
G. Partial C++ Class Reference.
H. Multi-Files Programs.
I. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Debugger.
J. 1st Edition to 2nd Edition Correlation Guide.