Android Developer's Cookbook, The: Building Applications with the Android SDK, Rough Cuts, 2nd Edition
This is the Rough Cut version of the printed book.
Do you want to get started building apps for Android, today’s number one mobile platform? Are you already building Android apps but want to get better at it? The Android™ Developer’s Cookbook, Second Edition, brings together all the expert guidance and code you’ll need.
This edition has been extensively updated to reflect Jelly Bean and other current Android 4.2.2 releases. You’ll find all-new chapters on advanced threading and UI development, in-app billing, push messages, and native development, plus new techniques for everything from accessing NFC hardware to using Google Cloud Messaging.
Proven modular recipes take you from the basics to all the way to advanced services, helping you to make the most of the newest Android APIs and tools. The authors’ fully updated code samples are designed to serve directly as templates for your own projects and components. You’ll learn best-practice techniques for efficiently solving common problems and for avoiding pitfalls throughout the entire development lifecycle. Coverage includes
- Organizing Android apps and integrating their activities
- Working efficiently with services, receivers, and alerts
- Managing threads, including advanced techniques using AsyncTasks and loaders
- Building robust, intuitive user interfaces
- Implementing advanced UI features, including Custom Views, animation, accessibility, and large screen support
- Capturing, playing, and manipulating media
- Interacting with SMS, websites, and social networks
- Storing data via SQLite and other methods
- Integrating in-app billing using Google Play services
- Managing push messaging with C2DM
- Leveraging new components and structures for native Android development
- Efficiently testing and debugging with Android’s latest tools and techniques, including LINT code analysis
The Android™ Developer’s Cookbook, Second Edition, is all you need to jumpstart any Android project, and create high-value, feature-rich apps that sell.
Table of Contents
About the Authors
Chapter 1: Overview of Android
Chapter 2: Application Basics: Activites and Intents
Chapter 3: Threads, Services, Receivers, and Alerts
Chapter 4: Advanced Threading Techniques
Chapter 5: User Interface Layout
Chapter 6: User Interface Events
Chapter 7: Advanced UI Techniques
Chapter 8: Multimedia Techniques
Chapter 9: Hardware Interface
Chapter 10: Networking
Chapter 11: Data Storage Methods
Chapter 12: Location-Based Services
Chapter 13: In-App Billing
Chapter 14: Push Messages
Chapter 15: Native Android Development
Chapter 16: Debugging
Appendix A: Using the OpenIntents Sensor Simulator
Appendix B: Using the Compatibility Pack
Appendix C: Using a Continuous Integration System
Appendix D: Android OS Releases
Available to Safari Books Online Subscribers
What is this?
Rough Cuts are manuscripts that are developed but not yet published, available through Safari Books Online. Rough Cuts provide you access to the very latest information on a given topic and offer you the opportunity to interact with the author to influence the final publication.
Also available in other formats.