Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Cable Internet Connections, Adobe Reader
eBook (Adobe DRM)
- Sorry, this book is no longer in print.
- About Adobe DRM eBooks
- Install the free Adobe Digital Editions software on your machine. Adobe Digital Editions only works on Macintosh and Windows, and requires the Adobe Flash Player. Please see the official system requirements.
- Authorize your copy of Adobe Digital Editions using your Adobe ID (select AdobeID as the eBook vendor). If you don't already have an Adobe ID, you can create one here.
Adobe® Digital Editions software.This eBook requires the free
Before downloading this DRM-encrypted PDF, be sure to:
- Copyright 2002
- Pages: 384
- Edition: 1st
- eBook (Adobe DRM)
- ISBN-10: 0-7686-5473-4
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7686-5473-8
At long last, there is a better solution to the painfully slow dial-up modem connection that has been your tether to the Internet. Cable Internet connections that once were expensive luxuries of living in big cities have become commonplace. Cable Internet connections promise to change the way you use the Internet...not to mention changing the Internet itself. No longer will you have to spend hours downloading files or email, tie up your phone line every time you want to check a stock quote or grit your teeth while watching the latest movie trailer trickle in a frame or two at a time on your modem connection.
There is a dark side, however. Unless you take the proper precautions, cable Internet connections open your computer to Internet thugs who would like nothing more than to make off with your credit card numbers and personal files. Fear not...we show you how to rebuke hackers when they come calling.
We also show you what the cable company won't show you - how to hot- rod your connection so that you can squeeze more performance from your broadband Internet service. We also show you how to share a single connection between multiple computers via your home network and how to get your mail - even when you're on the road away from your cable connection. And if you're the get-your-hands-dirty type, we show you how to bypass long waiting lists for professional installation of your service and do it yourself.
We also show you to to maximize the speed afforded to you by your cable connection when playing online games, chatting with your friends and coworkers and using video conferencing.
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Cable Internet Connections is your indispensable companion to the brave new world of home broadband.
- A When hackers are busting through your measly defenses and making off with your credit cards, you don't have time for useless tech support lines or for surfing to Web sites explaining home Internet security - you need answers - and possibly an Advil or two - now!
- A Your new connection is blindingly fast. You've told your dialup ISP to take a hike. Then, it occurs to you - how do I share my cable connection with other computers in the house? We show you just how to do it!
- A Are you a do-it-yourselfer who doesn't trust that the cable installer will know a NIC from a hair dryer? Your concerns might be well-founded. Cable Internet has exploded on the consumer market and many providers know just a smidgen more than you do about installing cable Internet. That is, they did know more. Now that you have this book by your side, you can learn just how to install your own hardware and configure Windows to maximize your new cable connection.
- A Even though your new connection is faster than anything you've seen, it can be faster. We show you how to squeeze every-last-lovin' drop of performance out of your cable connection. "Fasten your seatbelts.
- Have an iMac, G3, or G4? We haven't forgotten about you. We help you discover where to find Mac-specific media players, Internet sharing programs, and other resources that will help you supercharge and troubleshoot your MacOS-flavored Cable Internet connection.
Table of Contents
(NOTE: Each chapter concludes with a Summary.)
I. UNDERSTANDING CABLE MODEMS.
II. GETTING CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
III. USING YOUR CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
IV. ENHANCING YOUR CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
V. SECURING YOUR CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
VI. SHARING YOUR CABLE MODEM SERVICE.
VII. TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR CABLE MODEM.
ONE MONTH ACCESS!
Get unlimited 30-day access to thousands of Books & Training Videos about technology, professional development and digital media If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months.
Other Things You Might Like
- My LinkedIn
- eBook (Watermarked) $15.99
- My LinkedIn
- Book $19.99