How to Use the Android Design Support Library
Presented by Ian Clifton
Material Design has provided a powerful visual framework for creating consistent and beautiful apps. It gives guidance on everything from spacing and font sizes to interactive elements and motion. With Google's release of the Android Design Support Library, many of the Material Design elements are now simple classes that can be dropped into your app to create a mountain of polish with just a few lines of Java or XML. Unfortunately, the documentation for this library is still a bit light. Watch this webcast to learn what this library provides and how to use its classes in your own apps. Download the PowerPoint slide deck from this presentation.
After seeing how easy it is to add the library to your app, you will learn:
- TextInputLayout for implementing the Float Label pattern
- FloatingActionButton for normal and mini FABs
- Snackbar for lightweight, interactive elements
- TabLayout for both fixed and scrollable tabs
- NavigationView for the navigation drawer pattern
- CoordinatorLayout for dynamically moving FABs, toolbars, and other elements
- CollapsingToolbarLayout for animating a collapsing app bar
Ian G. Clifton is a professional Android application developer, user experience advocate, and author. He has worked with many developers and designers and led Android teams, creating well-known apps such as Saga, CNET News, CBS News, and more.
Ian's love of technology, art, and user experience has led him along a variety of paths. In addition to Android application development, he has done platform, web, and desktop development. Prior to doing development professionally, he served in the United States Air Force as a Satellite, Wideband, and Telemetry Systems Journeyman. Throughout it all, he has created quite a bit of art with pencil, charcoal, brush, camera, and even wood.
Save 40%-60% on these titles from Ian Clifton:
Android User Interface Design: Implementing Material Design for Developers
Use discount code CLIFTONWC to save 40%
The Essentials of Android Application Development LiveLessons
Use discount code CLIFTONWCVID to save 60%
* Book and eBook sale prices displayed reflect 40% discount achieved with purchase of ISBNs 9780134191409 or 9780134191928 only and application of discount code CLIFTONWC during checkout when purchased on informit.com through December 14, 2015. Discount may not be applied to book + eBook "Best Value" or "Additional Savings" bundles, Rough Cuts, Safari Books Online, non-discountable titles, or any title featured as eBook Deal of the Week. Discount code may not be combined with any other offer and is not redeemable for cash. Offer subject to change.
** Video sale price displayed reflects 60% discount achieved with purchase of ISBNs 9780134191409 or 9780134191928 only and application of discount code CLIFTONWC during checkout when purchased on informit.com through December 14, 2015. Discount may not be applied to individual video lessons, Safari Books Online, non-discountable titles, or any title featured as Video Deal of the Week. Discount code may not be combined with any other offer and is not redeemable for cash. Offer subject to change.