Content Update Program
Technology companies are moving away from launching new versions of their products every few years, to delivering improvements through periodic software updates. For example, Microsoft Windows 10 will be the last full release of Windows. Future updates will come via a stream of feature and security updates.
What is the Content Update Program?
The Content Update Program (CUP) is designed to keep our books and eBooks up to date as technology and software is updated. Thus, sections of your book in CUP will be updated, or new sections will be added, to match the updates to the software or technology. The updates will be delivered to you via a Web Edition of your book, which can be accessed with any Internet connection through your InformIT account. InformIT wants to help ensure that your purchase is protected from immediately outdated information. Learn more from Que Editor-in-Chief Greg Wiegand.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I know if a product is part of the Content Update Program?
A. If you are looking at a physical book, there will be information on the cover and within the book indicating that the book is part of the Content Update Program. Look for the Content Update Program logo, as shown:
If you are looking at our website or a retailer's website:
- The title will contain "Content Update Program"
- The cover and product description will include information about the Content Update Program
- A Web Edition will be available for sale on the book product page on quepublishing.com or informit.com (Web Editions are only sold on the Que and InformIT sites)
- Look for the Content Update Program logo
Q. Where do I get the content updates?
A. The content updates will be delivered to you via a Web Edition of your book, which can be accessed with any Internet connection from your InformIT account.
Q. How do I access my Web Edition?
A. Instructions to access your Web Edition can be found within the product you purchased, typically on the inside front or back cover, or you can follow these instructions:
- If you purchased your book from quepublishing.com or informit.com, your book is automatically registered. Go to the Digital Purchases tab in your Account and click on "Launch" for the Web Edition (see screenshot below).
- If you purchased your book in any other channel, it must be registered:
- Go to informit.com/register
- Sign in or create a new account
- If you purchased a print book, enter the ISBN found at the bottom of the back cover
If you purchased an eBook, enter the ISBN found in the instructions found within your eBook
- Answer the question presented on screen, as proof of purchase
- The Web Edition will appear under the Digital Purchases tab on your Account page; click "Launch" to access the product
Q. How do I access the videos for my Web Edition?
A. Only certain Web Editions have videos (e.g. My Windows 10). To access these videos, click the "Access Bonus Content" link for the corresponding book, eBook, or Web Edition you purchased in the Registered Products section of your Account page.
Q. How often will the Web Editions be updated?
A. Periodically, depending on when technology companies make significant updates to their software.
Q. How will I know when my Web Edition has been updated?
A. Sign up for promotional emails at informit.com/newsletters to receive an email alerting you of the changes each time your Web Edition has been updated. The email you use to sign up for promotional emails must be the same email address used for your quepublishing.com or informit.com account, in order to receive the email alerts.
If you are not signed up to receive InformIT emails, you can always check your informit.com account for the latest Web Edition, or sign up at informit.com/newsletters.
Q. Do I need to do anything to update my Web Edition?
A. No, InformIT will automatically update your Web Edition. When updates are available, log into your informit.com account and click on the "Launch" link that appears under the "Digital Purchases" tab.
Q. How long will I receive free updates to my Web Edition?
A. When a new edition of your book is published, no further updates will be added to your book's Web Edition. However, you will continue to have access to your current Web Edition with its existing updates.
Q. Is there a cost for the Web Edition?
A. If there is a charge, you will be notified, and you will be able to choose whether or not to pay for the updates.
Q. Can I read the Web Edition on my eReader device?
A. No. The Web Edition may be accessed online, but cannot be downloaded to an eReader device. An eBook must be purchased for use on an eReader.
Q. Can I read the Web Edition on my Tablet?
A. Yes, you can easily access the Web Edition on tablets that use current web browsers. Simply log into your informit.com account and access the Web Edition from the "Digital Purchases" tab.
Q. Which browsers support Web Editions?
A. Viewing a Web Edition requires a web browser that fully supports HTML5. Supported platforms are:
- Windows XP (Firefox only)
- Windows 7, 8, or 10 (IE10, IE11, Chrome, Firefox, Edge—Windows 10 only)
- Mac OS X (Safari, Firefox, or Chrome)
- Linux (Chrome or Firefox)
- iOS 6, 7, or 8 (Mobile Safari)
- Android (Chrome)
If you have additional questions, please submit them via our Contact Us form.