- 1-1 Engineering Ethics
- 1-2 Myths about Process Safety
- 1-3 Safety Culture
- 1-4 Individual Risk, Societal Risk, and Risk Populations
- 1-5 Voluntary and Involuntary Risk
- 1-6 Safety Metrics
- 1-7 Accident and Loss Statistics
- 1-8 Risk Perception
- 1-9 Risk Tolerance/Acceptance and Risk Matrix
- 1-10 Codes, Standards, and Regulations
- 1-11 Safeguards
- 1-12 The CCPS 20 Elements of Risk-Based Process Safety
- 1-13 Inherently Safer Design
- 1-14 The Worst Chemical Plant Tragedy: Bhopal, India, 1984<sup><a id="ch01fn13_r" href="ch01.xhtml#ch01fn13">13</a></sup>
- 1-15 Overview of Chemical Process Safety
- Suggested Reading
General Aspects of Chemical Process Safety
S. Mannan, ed. Lees’ Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 4th ed. (London, UK: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2012).
S. Mannan, ed. Lees’ Process Safety Essentials (London, UK: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2013).
D. W. Green and M. Z. Southard, eds. Perry’s Chemical Engineers Handbook, 8th and 9th eds., Section 23: Process Safety (New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2008 and 2019).
J. A. Klein and B. K. Vaughen. Process Safety: Key Concepts and Practical Approaches (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2017).
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov
Marsh and McLennan Companies, The 100 Largest Losses, Large Property Damage Losses in the Hydrocarbon Industry. Search the web for “100 largest losses.”
AICHE/CCPS 20 Elements of Risk-Based Process Safety
Center for Chemical Process Safety. Guidelines for Risk Based Process Safety (New York, NY: American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2007).
Center for Chemical Process Safety. Introduction to Process Safety for Undergraduates and Engineers (Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2016).
Inherently Safer Design
Center for Chemical Process Safety. Inherently Safer Chemical Processes: A Life Cycle Approach, 2nd ed. (Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2009).
T. Kletz and P. Amyotte. Process Plants: A Handbook for Inherently Safer Design, 2nd ed. (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2010).
Chemical and Engineering News (February 11, 1985), p. 14.
John F. Murphy, Dennis Hendershot, Scott Berger, Angela E. Summers, and Ronald J. Willey. “Bhopal Revisited.” Process Safety Progress, 33, no. 4 (2014): 310–313.
U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, www.csb.gov.
CCPS Process Safety Beacon, electronically published monthly by email subscription and available at no charge in many languages. https://www.aiche.org/ccps/resources/process-safety-beacon