This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Also available in other formats.
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
VMware ESX Server in the Enterprise
Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers
The Most Complete, Practical, Solutions-Focused Guide to Running ESX Server 3
VMware ESX Server in the Enterprise is the definitive, real-world guide to planning, deploying, and managing today’s leading virtual infrastructure platform in mission-critical environments.
Drawing on his extensive experience consulting on large-scale ESX Server implementations, Edward L. Haletky brings together an unprecedented collection of tips, best practices, and field-tested solutions. More than any other author, he illuminates the real issues, tradeoffs, and pitfalls associated with ESX Server–and shows how to make the most of it in your unique environment.
Haletky covers the entire lifecycle: planning, installation, system monitoring, tuning, clustering, security, disaster recovery, and much more. Throughout, he supports his recommendations with examples from real-world deployments. He also provides detailed checklists for handling crucial issues such as caching, networking, storage, and hardware selection. Many of his techniques and practices apply to all current virtualization platforms, not just ESX Server.
This book will be an indispensable resource for every network architect, administrator, and IT professional who works with virtual servers. ESX Server newcomers will find the soup-to-nuts introduction they desperately need; experienced users will find an unparalleled source of field-tested answers and solutions.
In this book, you’ll learn how to:
• Identify key differences between ESX v3.x.y and ESX v2.5.x and their implications
• Perform a complete installation–with automated scripting techniques and samples
• Efficiently audit, monitor, and secure ESX Server
• Discover SAN storage pitfalls and solutions–with detailed guidance for specific SANs, switches, and fibre-channel adapters
• Understand ESX Server networking: NIC teaming, vSwitches, network lag, and troubleshooting
• Configure ESX Server via the Management User Interface, Virtual Center client, and command line interface
• Install Windows, Linux, and NetWare VMs: prepare media images, place configuration files, handle sizing and swap files, and more
• Use Dynamic Resource Load Balancing to consistently achieve utilization goals
• Implement effective backup and disaster recovery procedures
Edward L. Haletky owns AstroArch Consulting, Inc., a consultancy specializing in virtualization, security, and networking. He has been rated by his peers on the VMware Discussion Forums as a “virtuoso” for his work in answering VMware security and configuration questions. Prior to establishing AstroArch, Haletky was a member of Hewlett-Packard’s Virtualization, Linux, and High-Performance Technical Computing teams. He holds a degree in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering from Purdue University.
1 SYSTEM CONSIDERATIONS 1
2 VERSION COMPARISON 33
3 INSTALLATION 55
4 AUDITING, MONITORING, AND SECURING 93
5 STORAGE WITH ESX 163
6 EFFECTS ON OPERATIONS 203
7 NETWORKING 217
8 CONFIGURING ESX FROM A HOST CONNECTION 245
9 CONFIGURING ESX FROM A VIRTUAL CENTER OR HOST 271
10 VIRTUAL MACHINES 345
11 DYNAMIC RESOURCE LOAD BALANCING 407
12 DISASTER RECOVERY AND BACKUP 431
EPILOGUE THE FUTURE OF VIRTUALIZATION 461
APPENDIX A SECURITY SCRIPT 465
APPENDIX B ESX VERSION 3 TEXT INSTALLATION 481
APPENDIX C ESX VERSION 3 GRAPHICAL INSTALLATION 501