Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
UNIX Internals: The New Frontiers
- Your Price: $135.15
- List Price: $159.00
- Usually ships in 24 hours.
- compares several important UNIX variants -- highlighting the issues and alternative solutions for various operating system components (e.g., kernel memory allocations):
- System V Release 4 (SVR4) from Novell, Inc.
- Berkeley Software Distribution (4.xBSD) from University of California.
- OSF/1 from Open System Foundation.
- SunOS and Solaris from Sun Microsystems.
- DEC OSF from Digital Equipment Corporation.
- HP-US from Hewlett-Packard Corporation.
- describes advanced technologies such as:
- multiprocessor and multithreaded systems.
- log-structured file systems.
- modern memory architectures.
- provides many programming examples and features over 200 figures.
- contains 15-20 exercises for each chapter -- many open-ended and expandable to research assignments.
- includes an extensive list of references.
- Copyright 1996
- Dimensions: 7 X 9 1/4
- Pages: 601
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-13-101908-2
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-101908-9
This book offers an exceptionally up-to-date, in-depth, and broad-based exploration of the latest advances in UNIX-based operating systems. Focusing on the design and implementation of the operating system itself — not on the applications and tools that run on it -- this book compares and analyzes the alternatives offered by several important UNIX variants, and covers several advanced subjects, such as multi-processors and threads. KEY TOPICS: Compares several important UNIX variants—highlighting the issues and alternative solutions for various operating system components. Describes advanced technologies such as multiprocessor and multithreaded systems, log- structured file systems, and modern memory architecture.
Table of Contents
2. The Process and the Kernel.
3. Threads and Lightweight Processes.
4. Signals and Session Management.
5. Process Scheduling.
6. Interprocess Communications.
7. Synchronization and Multiprocessing.
8. File System Interface and Framework.
9. File System Implementations.
10. Distributed File Systems.
11. Advanced File Systems.
12. Kernel Memory Allocation.
13. Virtual Memory.
14. The SVR4 VM Architecture.
15. More Memory Management Topics.
16. Device Drivers and I/O.
ONE MONTH ACCESS!
Get unlimited 30-day access to thousands of Books & Training Videos about technology, professional development and digital media If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months.