Adobe® Digital Editions software.This eBook requires the free
Before downloading this DRM-encrypted PDF, be sure to:
Having sold more than 2 million copies over its lifetime, How Computers Work is the definitive illustrated guide to the world of PCs and technology. In this new edition, you’ll find detailed information not just about every last component of hardware found inside your PC, but also in-depth explanations about home networking, the Internet, PC security, and even how cell phone networks operate. Whether you’re interested in how the latest graphics cards power today’s most demanding games or how a digital camera turns light into data, you’ll find your answers right here.
Ron White is a former executive editor and columnist for PC Computing, where he developed the visual concept behind How Computers Work. Founder of one of the
earliest PC user groups, he has been writing about computers for 25 years and is known for building wildly extreme computers.
Timothy Edward Downs is an award-winning magazine designer, illustrator, and photographer. He has directed and designed several national consumer, business, technology, and
lifestyle magazines, always infusing a sense of “how it works” into every project.
A full-color, illustrated adventure into the wonders of TECHNOLOOGY
This full-color, fully illustrated guide to the world of technology assumes nothing and explains everything. Only the accomplished Ron White and award-winning Tim Downs have the unique ability to meld descriptive text with one-of-a-kind visuals to fully explain how the electronic gear we depend on every day is made possible. In addition to all the content you’ve come to expect from prior editions, this newly revised edition includes all-new coverage of topics such as:
• How tablet PCs put the power of a PC quite literally in your hands
• How Windows Vista makes your Windows desktop translucent and makes your PC more secure
• How advances in optical disc technology such as dual-layer DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray discs continue to push the envelope
• How Apple’s new iPhone is revolutionizing what cell phones can do
• How BitTorrent technology enables anyone to share information with everyone
For a decade, How Computers Work has helped newbies understand new technology, while at the same time hackers and IT pros have treasured it for the depth of knowledge it contains. This is the perfect book about computing to capture your imagination, delight your eyes, and expand your mind, no matter what your technical level!
Category: General Computing
User Level: Beginning–Intermediate
Part 1: Boot-Up Process.....2
Chapter 1 Getting to Know the Hardware.....10
Chapter 2 How Circuits Juggle Data.....20
Chapter 3 How a PC Comes Alive.....30
Chapter 4 How an Operating System Controls Hardware.....36
Part 2: How Microchips are the PC’s Brain.....46
Chapter 5 How Transistors Manipulate Data.....52
Chapter 6 How a Microprocessor Works.....62
Part 3: How Software Works.....80
Chapter 7 How Programming Languages Work.....94
Chapter 8 How Windows Works.....104
Chapter 9 How Software Applications Do Your Work.....118
Part 4: Data Storage.....146
Chapter 10 How a Computer’s Long-Term Memory Works.....154
Chapter 11 How Disk Drives Save Information.....166
Chapter 12 How Little Things Make Drives Faster and Bigger.....176
Chapter 13 How PCs Use Light to Remember Data.....184
Part 5: Input/Output Devices.....194
Chapter 14 How Data Gets Into Your PC.....202
Chapter 15 How Scanners Capture Words and Images.....212
Chapter 16 How Computers Use Power.....220
Chapter 17 How Serial Ports Triumph.....228
Chapter 18 How a Computer Display Works.....242
Chapter 19 How Digital Photography Works.....252
Part 6: Games and Multimedia.....260
Chapter 20 How Multimedia Sound Works.....266
Chapter 21 How Multimedia Video Works.....278
Chapter 22 How Game Hardware Puts You In the Action.....286
Chapter 23 How Games Create 3D Worlds.....296
Part 7: How the Internet Works.....306
Chapter 24 How Local Area Networks Work.....314
Chapter 25 How PCs Connect to the Internet.....324
Chapter 26 How the Internet Moves Data.....332
Chapter 27 How We Reach Each Other Through the Net.....338
Chapter 28 How Wireless Sets PCs Free.....350
Chapter 29 How the Net Provides Video and Audio on Demand.....360
Chapter 30 How the World Wide Web Works.....366
Chapter 31 How Internet Security Fights Off PC Invaders.....378
Part 8: How Printers Work.....398
Chapter 32 How Black-and-White Printing Works.....404
Chapter 33 How Color Printing Works.....414
Installing the free Multi-touch edition of How Computers Work to your iPad is a simple process of copying the iBooks file on the DVD included with this book to your iTunes Library and then syncing your iTunes Library with your iPad. All you have to do is follow these steps:
1. Place the DVD included with this book in your computer's DVD drive.
2. Open a Windows Explorer (File Explorer in Windows 8) or Mac Finder window and locate the HowComputersWork.ibooks file on the disc.
3. Copy the file from the DVD to a folder on your computer. For example, Windows users could copy it to their My Documents folder.
4. Open iTunes and select a folder in your iTunes Library list (choose Books if it’s visible).
5. Drag the HowComputersWork.ibooks file to the Library folder list. The book will appear in your library’s Books folder.
6. With your iPad connected to iTunes (via its cable or Wi-Fi), select it in iTunes and click the Books tab.
7. Make sure iTunes is configured to sync your books.
8. Click Apply to sync How Computers Word Multi-Touch Edition to your iPad.
Note: Installation requires an iPad running at least iOS 5 and a Mac or Windows computer with iTunes 10 installed to transfer the iBook to your iPad.